Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 9 years ago

Administrator without "the appropriate permissions to access the items." Why? How to fix?

After a few problems with my laptop such as a blue screen of death error that I fixed with the repair computer option at startup, I have been unable to access any file or program not on my desktop. I can't even access files that are in folders on my desktop. I do not have access to the control panel, or the C drive, or any drive I plug into the computer. If I try to access any of these things the following error pops up:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

But I am the administrator of this computer. I have already tried a few things that I thought would have helped. I have tried to take ownership as recommended by some sites by right clicking on the file >properties > security> etc but as mentioned I already have full control. I have tried using a command prompt to access files and I get the same error.

Interestingly, I do not have this problem when in safe mode. There are workarounds that I use to access files not directly on my desktop. I can use the snap ins in Computer Management which I get to by right clicking Computer on the desktop, or by opening say Microsoft Word or Windows Media Player and then opening any word or media file on the computer respectively. So I know the lockout is not absolute but I'm being blocked from accessing my files normally. Why? How do I fix this?

One of the main things I want to do is backup my computer but since I can't get into control panel I can't do it. And backup function does not work in safe mode.

Malwarebytes and Avira do not detect anything. I thought one or both of these might be causing the problem so I uninstalled them and the error still persisted. I have also run ckeckdisk and startup repair with no result. I don't know what else to try. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

BTW I'm running windows 7 on a Toshiba L505 laptop.

Thanks for responding Kevin but that's not the problem. I can access programs already on my desktop whether or not I run as administrator.

Favorite Answer

Right click the actual program itself and click run as administrator.