If God is omnipotent, why should he be forced to work within the laws of physics?

Either God is all powerful, or he isn't. Being a Christian, you know what I think the answer is. It was God who created those laws. If God is supernatural, he is literally above nature. Does God work within the laws of nature? Perhaps. But why would he have to? Once again, if God is all powerful, he can do anything. That means that he can work within the laws of nature when it suits him, and he can also work outside of them whenever he pleases. This is not special pleading. This is God we're discussing, not an ordinary man.

Yet a lot of atheists wonder why it is that God can perform miracles. It's not magic. It's not deception. It's not trickery. They're real, verifiable acts of God. It has nothing to do with magic. It has everything to do with him being the architect of the universe. It's like we are placing arbitrary limits on a being that has none. Can you put infinity in a box?

If God created all that we know and do not know, why should he be forced to work within the laws of nature and physics?

Favorite Answer

Once again Louis Wu speaks in educated vernacular, while showing no ability to think.

@ Happy Frood

How do I prove to you that I was able to start and drive my car 30 miles to a gas station after it had run out of gas? What can I say to you to make you believe that a fist sized tumor in my wife's abdomen disappeared after praying for her? I'm sure you'll continue to scoff even though we had before and after ultrasound images. I have seen many things that I can't explain since I've been a Christian, and all of them occurred after prayer. One of my sons had second degree burns disappear from his hand, another time the swollen glands in his throat shrunk back down to normal size before our eyes. I could go on and on, but to what end? You have steeled your resolve not to believe anything a Christian tells you.

God is spirit and created all there is including physics and its laws. God transcends the physical on a regular basis to intervene in many lives and situations.

Someone here asked why there's no proof of miracles. There surely is! There are before and after lab tests and xrays that are part of medically documented case histories. The problem is that people reject this proof out of hand even when doctors admit that they are baffled by the "after" results. Why? Could it be they don't want to know and if they did indeed see the indisputable evidence of miracles, they would not only need to admit that there's more to life than the physical, that God exists and that God is indeed actively involved in people's lives.

• Candy

As you say, God Created, made, and formed the natural laws, works within them, and is able to "exceed" them. However, it should be understood, that is the matter. When God makes something to a frame, He keeps that frame( tends to and in it in His Faithfulness and Commitment unto its finishing). He does not "break" His Own rules for and of measure. If anything, He "exceeds" them. You are right, God has no Limits, except by His own will. "God's willingness equals His Ability, and His Ability equals His willingness". The basic foundation of existence is God's Own nature. Therefore, at roots, existence is limitless. However, for Relation, God's Limitlessness is shared with us in a Given framework and Environment of the truth in love in understanding that is Given to be revered by all parties. This is why I often turn away from the term "unconditional love". I see God is not a respecter of persons, but is, a respecter of, not circumstance, but conditions. Where as God's Love exceeds conditions, it is not quite, "unconditional". However, Love is not a drama, or excessive laser light show. Its a big universe, its impressive enough of a work. God most usually, even with Miracles, works in what would seem "the natural flow of events". As soon as even a supernatural matter is manifested into a physical reality, it becomes part in relativity with the whole rest of the physical existence, and even the most drastic spiritual matters could be explained away if that is what someone really wanted to do. People will see of and in this life, what they choose and desire to see of and in it. Its about a Relationship in Love, not a dramatized theatrical magic show. It truth, when something is overly dramatic, there is often something deceiving going on about things, unless that extra emphasis to impress has a godly reason to it in of and by God's word . God doesn't necessarily need theatrics to drive an effective impression, lies do.

• Rick G

We have to remember that when we say "laws" we are ascribing a "human" concept to physical things, which we are only able to study and give 'best guess' answers. For God's point of view, HE is the Law, and He decides what happens and why. And He is not limited by anything that we call "laws".

So, He can give humans superhuman powers, like Samson, or allow His prophets to cause ax heads to float to the surface of water. He can respond to their prayers with direct actions as in the case of Elijah praying for God to consume his sacrifice.

The best place to start is at the beginning. The Bible tells us that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. This is not at all what happened. The matter which makes up the universe was never created. It has always existed and will always continue to exist in one form or another. There is no God who created everything from nothing, but there are life forms which would have you believe that they are the messengers of that God. The earth was formed as a result of the naturally occurring forces which have always been and will always be. Life on this planet was not created but evolved, just as it has done and will continue to do on billions of other planets which can support life.

everything in the Christian religion and in the bible has been STOLEN from other religions that predated it from all around the world. Christianity is a tool for removing spiritual/occult knowledge from the populace so this power can be kept in the hands of a few to manipulate and enslave the masses.

Source(s): exposingchristianity.com

Psalm 115

Amplified Bible (AMP)

3 But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases.

Mark 4

Amplified Bible (AMP)

11 And He said to them, To you has been entrusted the mystery of the kingdom of God [that is, [a]the secret counsels of God which are hidden from the ungodly]; but for those outside [[b]of our circle] everything becomes a parable,

Job 15

Amplified Bible (AMP)

8 Were you present to hear the secret counsel of God? And do you limit [the possession of] wisdom to yourself?

Job 12

Amplified Bible (AMP)

13 But [only] with [God] are [perfect] wisdom and might; He [alone] has [true] counsel and understanding.

Psalm 33

Amplified Bible (AMP)

11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of His heart through all generations.

Source(s): The Holy Bible
  • a6kl2

If God is omniscient, why wasn't he smart enough to create a set of laws that would create the given universe without further interaction. Moreover, how is this not exactly the same as magic?

Your the one who placed limits on God's intelligence. It would be more rational for God to subject himself to his own laws.

Real magic, however, is the idea of free will. The idea that YOU somehow have the ability to dictate how chemicals react with each other in your head.

If god were real, he would not have to work within the laws of physics. But he's not. Miracles don't happen. And no atheist I have ever met has wondered how god can perform miracles - since they don't believe in him.

And PLEASE, I beg you, just show me ONE "real, verifiable acts of God" (miracle). I'd love to hear about it, and how it is you verified it.

God isnt just "confined" to the laws of Nature. The laws of nature ARE his laws.

Its just *us* figuring out his laws and giving them a name.

So wrong, so many ways. A 'god' that is completely outside the 'rules' of the universe is an unknowable 'god'. That 'god' would be trapped outside its own creation, because if 'it' intervened in any way, then it is inside the universe that it created. That is paradoxical, and nonsensical.

You need to invent a better 'god' because science and logic makes the current 'god' rather quaint and silly.