bug78 asked in SportsHockey · 9 years ago

Is the current Martin Brodeur overrated?

Granted, Brodeur is a legend no doubt, but does anyone think he's a tad bit overrated now? He is amazing for a goalie his age, but does he really need to stack the pads every other save? Some times he needs to, but most times I feel he just does it to make himself look good. Opinions?

Favorite Answer

That was the same criticism that Curtis Joesph received even during his prime. Overrated or not Brodeur gets results and he has always been known to have a hybrid style of net-minding between the stand-up and butterfly. If stacking the pads is what he does to become the winningest goalie of all time I say more power to him.

That being said I noticed the same thing during yesterday's game. But he isnt some jobber, he has two cups and hold almost every goaltending record. So no criticism for me when he stacks the pads. Of course I hope he gives up some rebounds while doing it so the Kings win tomorrow, but that is a whole other story ;).

Brodeur will never be overrated, with all he has accomplished throughout his long career. Brodeur is keeping up with kids half his age, so being overrated is not the term i would ever use when speaking of Brodeur. Also Brodeur stacks the pads because he has been playing hockey for 20 years. Back when he was growing up every goalie including Patrick Roy (Brodeur's idle) was a stand-up goalie. This is just how they play the game. Brodeur never liked the butterfly style of play that developed in the late 90's, therefore he is the last goalie who will stand up to make a save! Plus with all Brodeur has accomplished looking good is the least on his mind, he just wants to win Lord Stanley's Cup, one more time!

• J.

I thik Brodeur is one of the most overrated players ever. I do agree that he was a good goalie in his prime, I don't think he should be anywhere near the conversation of "best ever". He always played on a team with great defensemen and a team that had a defense first mentality. People make the argument that you can't deny his career save % but I think you can. When you have a defensive team he's making a lot of easy saves from outside shots from the boards.

Blake, Marty Brodeur has 3 Stanley Cups.

• Chuck

The last 2 games Brodeur has outplayed the much younger Quick. Whatever works I guess.

LOL-Obviously Quick and Brodeur are better than at least 28 other NHL goalies right now.

He's already won 3 Stanley Cups, that's overrated?

All hail Visari. Long live Helghan.

• Andy

He won't be by game 7 when his legacy is the best that ever was.

• .

Great for his age, they are still playing because of him