Possible hair dye allergy?

Hello, I recently used herbal essence 28 day semi-permanent dye to give my hair a reddish tint. I like it...but I've noticed ever since I dyed it I've been having a mini break-out on my forehead. It isn't so much close to the scalp but more in between the eyebrow area and right above. I've noticed its the worst right after I shower. It is very rare for me to break out anywhere, I usually have no trouble with acne. I also have a bit of itchy skin behind my ear and I have a small red bump on my neck. I'm freaking out! I feel itchy, even though this was about a week ago that I dyed my hair. I would like to take a benedryl, but I'm not sure if I can (I take Wellbutrin, Xanax, and ambien). Would that be okay? Also, if it is a reaction to the hair dye, how long will it take to go away and what can I do to make it go away faster other than using a clarifying shampoo. Am I doomed to look like the horror pictures I see when I do an image search of hair dye reaction?!! Has anyone else experienced similiar acne like bumps after hair dying and did it go away in a reasonable amount of time?

• Adele
    Favorite Answer

Hair dyes producers may use misleading terms and users are always advised to discuss this terminology with a hair styling professional or even a doctor in the event of an allergy. “Hypoallergenic” hair dyes are less likely to cause allergies but an allergic reaction is still possible. Common symptoms of hair dye allergy include contact dermatitis (an itchy, flaky red rash) that most often occurs on the face, eyelids, ears and neck. Rashes on the scalp are less common due to the thickness of the skin on this area of the body. It is not uncommon for severe facial swelling to also occur with contact dermatitis to hair dye, which may be mistaken for angioedema. Angioedema, however, unlike contact dermatitis, is not red, does not itch, usually only occurs on one side of the face at a time, and does not peel or flake. Symptoms of a hair dye reaction most often occur within 2 to 3 days after a person colors his or her hair. However, symptoms may last for days to weeks after the last time a person dyed their hair.