y do white people always have burgers and hot dogs for bbqs?

my husbands family has bbqs often but its always burgers and hot dogs...I am hispanic and when we do bbqs its ribs, steak and chicken...i dont understand why most white people make burgers and dogs??

ps. no disrespect sorry

Favorite Answer

Hot Dogs are rolled steak!

I believe a lot of it has to do with making things simple. They could just do sandwiches and chips , but they feel that they have to cook something for others. Besides we just usually call them cook outs, but I know several white people that when they say a BBQ it is the steaks ribs and chicken and sometimes the hotdogs and hamburgers are thrown in for the children. Kids just want to eat and play, so why waste steak and ribs?huh

Source(s): Personal

I don't know for a fact, but I'm guessing that in the late 40's, after WWII, when home sales were booming 'cause soldiers were home and families were growing, everyone got their little patio and barbeque grill, or made a pit-type fireplace. And I'm sure that they thought of reasonably priced, family-friendly foods to cook on those grills, and were inspired by the hot dogs and hamburgs that they got at carnivals, amusement parks, beaches, etc. They thought: "Hmmm--now we can cook that stuff our-

selves, in our backyard!" But I've been to many where there is a selection--chicken, ribs, dogs, burgers. It is a lot of work, and usually the host has two grills going.

• Hannah

Us white people get together every year and make a pact to make only hot dogs and burgers at barbecues.

That's actually not true. Just because your husband's family makes that every time doesn't mean all white people do.

• Anizze

to be honest its easier preparation throw all that meat on the grill boom its quick simple meal

where as chicken ribs & steaks its just more extra work..in fact that's what I've seen :(... the marinades the preparation gets to be much... I'm greek rarely get hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill we always have to have some exotic overly prepped dish or meal which costs me extra work I get no help so I almost prefer hot dogs & hamburgers if only to get a day off from prepping

• Mushu

Because that's what we like?

And if you didn't want to be disrespectful, then you shouldn't have lumped all white people into one category simply based on your experience with one family. Plenty of people I know - white or not - have more than just burgers and dogs at their cook outs.

That's what they like, are used to, and keeps the price down.

We like kabobs marinated beef, veggies, and shrimp. But as someone else said - that takes some prep work. You can just toss hot dogs and hamburgers on a grill right out of a grocery bag.

• Marsha

This white girl can't afford ribs and steaks or I'd love to have them.

Why exactly do you cook ribs and chicken?

...and nothing is a name brand item...the sodas, paper plates, even the buns and ketchup are some off discount brand...the grill is from Kmart, as are the lawn chairs, shorts tees and sneakers; you gotta love em though, cuz they spent all their money on that property they invite you to, waaayyy out in the boonies...they'll eat peanut butter crackers and water cooler water for lunch, just to drive a saab to work... i love em