Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 9 years ago

I black out when I stand up...?

Does this have to do with my eating disorder? I eat about 400-700cal a day, sometimes less or more.

I stand up and black out for a few seconds and usually fall to the ground and I'm not able to regain sight for at least 3 seconds.

I'm 16, female.

or is there other reasons that this could be happening?

• ?

You should be eating twice the number of calories you are eating now.

Your blood pressure is very low which is causing you to black out when getting up

Are you on any medication? Certain ones can do this to you

Rise slowly when going from a sitting or lying position to a standing position.

You must get checked out by a doctor to determine the cause of this problem

Your heart is not pumping blood properly to the rest of your body, including your head which will lead to blacking out temporarily.

Check your pulse. If it is less than 60 beats per minute, your heart is pumping too slowly.

You are not just feeling lightheaded or dizzy when getting up. You are actually blacking out so this is a more serious situation that you must have checked out by a professional.

It may have something to do with your eating disorder. I just did a quick search of the amount of calories a teenager needs to eat a day and the number I keep reading is 2200 calories per day. You are well below that. Your body does not have enough fuel to keep going, which might explain the blackouts. It is likely that your heart rate and blood pressure are exceptionally low. I have included a link below that lists the physical complications of anorexia nervosa. I don't know if that's what your eating disorder is, but any diet with as few calories as yours will negatively effect your heart. If you are blacking out regularly, you need to see a health professional immediately.

• Rosco

Nobody is going to be able to say anything for sure on Y!A but I would guess so.

400-700 cal is really low, even for someone trying to shed off the pounds. You need to see a doctor about your fainting and your eating disorder or I suspect that things will only get worse.

The blood is not in your head when you rise up, you are also eating a very insufficient amount of calories a day, this could be affecting your bodies growth and or reproduction of new cells. Standing up slower could help, this is all I can think of.

• Austin

If when sometimes you stand up quickly after you've been laying down for a while, your vision may go out for a few seconds because your brain's equilibrium has to adjust.

• ?

def could be low blood sugar, you are not eating enough to survive on, your body's systems are in hold/shutdown mode. You could be damaging yourself, why are you doing that?