How to help a distressed dog?

Hi. I'm dogsitting two older dogs that I have known for a while. Both dogs are familiar with me being around so I dont think they are acting weird because they don't know me. One dog is whining alot and not eating. And one dog isn't really eating. I've been told they will eat when they are hungry and they will get used to their family being gone. Should I worry? Is there anything I can do to help them calm down?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

What do you onow about their regular routine?

Do they go out for a walk?

If you can do so safely, take the ONE AT A TIME for a leash walk, making sure the other is either in a crate or behind a closed door before you go out of the house. A good brisk walk can sometimes allow a dog to work up enough endorphins to get them calmed down. They may also be used to a walk as their routine.

You could also try brushing them for the same effect. Put a leash on, so have control, and try brushing them in a bathroom or laundry room that is easy enough to clean - always in the house, never outside where you could lose a dog.

If they continue this way, contact the owners and let them know what is happening. Dogs that get that stressed could have another problem, or they may have another suggestion as to how to calm them down.

• 9 years ago

just take care of and give attention

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.