512GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Storage vs. Dual 3TB HDD?

Hi, I'm thinking about getting an alienware computer (before anyone mentions it, I am NOT making my own. I don't really care if it's better or cheaper. I'm willing to pay for the convenience, and their specs seem sufficient.), and I've pretty much decided on every component except for the hard drive, which I'm really conflicted about. I'm down to two choices, however:

1.) 512GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN with 1TB 7200RPM Storage.

2.) Serial ATA III RAID 0 with Dual 3TB Hard Drives.

The main draw of the SSD for me is the almost instant start up time, write time, quietness, and durability. I honestly can't imagine my computer starting up RIGHT when I turn it on. I've always despised the 2/3 minute start up time of my current computer....

However, I've heard MANY stories of SSD's failing very quickly. Either because of the write limit, or just no apparent reason. Which makes me question their reliability. As well, they're very expensive....I'm not sure if I want to pay that much for something that will only last me about a year or so.

Now, I know that HDD's crash too...I actually just had one crash on me recently. But they seem to last a lot longer than SSD's, by what I've read.

However, I also know that there are many things that can go wrong with an HDD, considering how many parts it consists of. And, the start up time really blows as well..

I pretty much use my computer for gaming, watching videos, making videos, and game design (art, animation, coding, etc.) Which I'd say are pretty strenuous on the computer. I think it's also worth noting that I DO have a backup hard drive, and I'll be getting the longest warranty that I can (4 years), of course...so, if the SSD fails, it might not be such a big deal....

I'm more leaning towards the SSD right now, but I want your opinions on this. Please try to remain as unbiased as possible towards either. I'm looking for solid answers before I make my choice.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The 512GB SSD + 1TB drive would smoke any pair of mechanical hard drives in RAID 0; even 10,000 RPM drives.

Contrary to what an above user mentioned, SSD's actually have a lower hardware failure rate than mechanical hard drives (in general; obviously brands and models are factors).

I wouldn't recommend Alienware, though. Even if you don't want to build your own PC, you can buy one that someone's built for you. eg:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320901293045?ssPageName=ST...

That's about the best gaming/video editing system that money can buy. It'll smoke any configuration that Alienware has to offer at a lower price point.

So long as you're ok with the idea that your SSD may randomly fail within a year, I'd say go with that. Personally, I'm a little leery of current SSD technology, but I also don't mind my current startup times all that much. The best thing to do would be to install only Windows to the SD (so get a much smaller one, like 64GB) then get a bigger HDD and install any programs you can to it. From time to time, take an image of the SSD and back it up to your HDD. Then if the SSD fails, you can get back up and running again rather quickly by just restoring the image to another disk.

Price wise the 120GB SSD will cost a lot more. The SSD will probably out perform the 500GB on data transfer. The HDD has moving parts,where as the SSD does not. As far as memory is concerned, the 500GB HDD will give you just over 4x the storage space.

Go for the SSD if you have money. It is faster than the basic HDD.

como estoy apasionada del mundo de los ordenadores me gusta hacer mi propia configuración de ordenador, como todos las otras componentes los he comprado de sitios web y han sido excelentes, el hard disk también lo compre aquí, el hard disk es exactamente como esperaba, muy buena compra.

one's better off building a custom computer at cyberpowerpc.com

intel custom pc's, it's also got amd custom pc's

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_H61_...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z77_...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X79_...

etc... full custom control from motherboard, video card, anywhere from 1 to 2 harddrives, 1-3 videocards, custom case and power supply, plenty to pick from