Mark asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Can anybody suggest me few books/novels based upon recession,great depression and unemployment.?

..Thank you.

• James
    Favorite Answer

Try the Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck. Excellent book about Great Depression farmers from the Dust Bowl who try to make a living in California.

The Apartment is actually a (dark) comedy but Shirley MacLaine's character realises that her married boss is never going to leave his wife and takes an overdose of pills. Thankfully she survives or it wouldn't be much of a comedy. It's a wonderful film. Harold and Maude, again a dark comedy/love story, has suicide as a recurring theme throughout. Also v good - Control the bio-pic about Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis, The Dream Life of Angels and Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet.

Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Fried Green Tomatoes (movie.. it's also a book but there's something else tagged onto the title and I can't remember I'm too tired), just look up John Steinbeck

It's historic fiction called "Noah's Castle". I forgot who wrote it (I think a John....) but it's about a family going through the depression in England. It's a great read, 13+, only because the language is old fashioned and can be hard to understand.

Of Mice and Men......

(warning, it's sad)