350 sfi to 350 tbi swap?

Can I swap a 350 tbi into a truck the currently has a 350 sfi

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

    sfi stands for "sequential fuel injection" and tbi stands for "throtle body injection, sfi means that it has an injector for every cylinder, in this case a 350, so 8 cylinders = 8 injectors, each injector fires only when it needs to, so if your ignition patern is like 8,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 then they will recieve fuel in that order, tbi on the other hand, only has 2 injectors that sit and spray gas into the manafold where a little poppit valve for each cylinder will open for every cylinder when that perticular one needs gas, so if your talking the engine only, probably not because the feul intake system will be all kinds of messed up, but if you replace the computor and possibly your ignition system it may work, but u didnt give to much info on the 2 engines, for example, does it have a singal distributor, or a coil for all 8 cylinder? because if there different, you may want to check your firing order, that could be a huge hassle, just not a good idea unless you want to replace the computor, the wiring harness, and the ignition system, and see if the tranny will even bolt up to it, there are so so many more bits and peices of info to consiter, i would just get sfi 350 from that year, i know its more expensive but its gonna be the better way to go

  • 4 years ago

    you MUST use the other computer. I havent crossreferenced to see if the plugs will fit, but yes. All the data to make everything come together is the computer. Different fuel strategies and so on. Search google for "350 tbi s10 conversion" you will find lots of free information with step by step process.

  • Tex G
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

    Well here is a problem. You will hap to change out the chip in the computer and fuel pressure reglator. The easy way is to change the intake so you keep your fuel system. If your are were they do emission. The computer will kick it out automatic. Since 1987 you hap to keep the same equipment that came on the vehicle to pass instpection. So keep that in mind.

    Source(s): ASE & Master Mechanic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.