Ruger Alaskan floor plate screw impossible to loosen!?

I have a Ruger Alaska in .375 caliber, the safety is a little bit sticky when the bolt is in place, I would like to take it apart to thoroughly oil it, but previous cleaning attempts have left the floor plate screw a bit worn, and last time I used a "sader glue lock" to ensure the floorplate screw did now come lose ( It nearly came off after firing 15 shots after I bought it new last year). Now it is impossible to get it lose, i ve tried using torque wrenches but the screw head will not stick. How do I go about removing this screw? I m planning on replacing it

Favorite Answer

You can try a heat gun to soften the "sader glue lock" and get the screw out.

That's how you release red loctite compound.

If that doesn't work, you're going to have to drill it out.

I'd suggest a gunsmith if the heat gun trick doesn"t work.

Find a hollow ground bit to fit it, for an impact wrench. Whack the I/M Forward, First. That usually loosens them enough. The reverse it and whack it again.

Get a good Yank or Jap or Kraut made one, not a Harbor Freight Cheap Charlie.

If that doesn't do it, chuck the bit in a drill press. With NO Power, press the bit tightly into the screw with the press' handle, the reciever in wood-lined vice jaws on the press' base. Try to tighten, then loosen the screw with the other hand turning the press' chuck. Or have buddy hold handle down and use both hands on chuck.

Be Careful with heat. Use only a wall paper stripper or such, a torch can anneal the metal.

REF: "American Rifleman" May 1970: "Loosening the stubborn 'frozen screw' ". Stuck screws on cages/bikes, they usually come out with a well-fitting tool and this tighten-then-loosen regime.

Take it to a Gunsmith or send it back to Ruger with an explaination of what happened.

Use as much heat on it as you can without ruining that Hogue stock.

I have removed stubborn screws with an impact screwdriver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=impact+screwdriver...

The best be may be to send it to Ruger with a note explaining why you glued in the screw and ask them to fix it.