How can people who know next to nothing about a subject have such a strong opinion on it?

I’m talking about guy who has never taken a Biology class after the tenth grade and thinks he can “disprove Evolution.” I’m talking about the woman who reads an internet blog and is suddenly and expert on Constitutional Law or Economics. We Americans are some of the lesser educated, mediocre people of the... show more I’m talking about guy who has never taken a Biology class after the tenth grade and thinks he can “disprove Evolution.” I’m talking about the woman who reads an internet blog and is suddenly and expert on Constitutional Law or Economics.

We Americans are some of the lesser educated, mediocre people of the Western world but boy do we have high opinions of ourselves.

What goes into this? Why does it continue to happen when it frankly shouldn’t?
Update: As I've remarked before, the problem in this country isn't that people don't believe in themselves, it's that they greatly overestimate their own talents, looks, potential, ability and intelligence.
Update 2: mr. chao - but lemme guess...you voted for Bush twice.

GTFO of here if you're going to seriously make the argument that Obama is somehow a worse President than Bush or that Romney will do better. I'm not a huge Obama fan that partisan idiocy belongs on the Politics section.

Seriously, brah.
Update 3: Ron Paul? Hold on a second.....BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...
Update 4: ANNI - you are right. See DUNNING-KRUGER EFFECT.
Update 5: Edit: lol, yeah, that's it, brah. We're just not smart enough to vote for Ron Paul. LMFAO....

Dude is a joke, to both conservatives and liberals.