Multi-Stage Reloading Press for 45 ACP?

I have a multi-stage Dillon Square Deal set up for 9 mm.

I also have a Lee Single-stage set up with Lee 45 ACP dies.

I'm planning to move to a Multi-stage press for the 45 ACP to save reloading time.

__

I would like to ask for suggestions for a multi-stage press, preferably one which will use the existing Lee 45 ACP standard size dies.

Please provide me with approximate cost, warranties and helpful tips for your recommendation.

Thanks very much.

VLD is correct -- the Dillon "Square Deal" does NOT use the standard 7/8" dies.

I had the option of buying "Square Deal" 45 ACP dies instead; but discounted the idea since it would involve removing and replacing the 9mm dies, faceplates, gunpowder settings, etc.

__

Just to clarify: Right now, I want to retain the Dillon 9mm as is. I want to buy another press for the 45 ACP. No other calibers are anticipated. I purchase factory ammo for rifles.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I am going to disagree with Jeff and Jack. The Dillon Square Deal does not use standard dies. It uses dies that are unique to the Square Deal press.

Dillon has 45 ACP dies and caliber change kits for your Square Deal. This will be cheaper than buying another press.

I have a Dillon 550 for my reloading. It works very well. It will use your standard dies.

Dillon has the best warranty going. There have been a few small parts on my Dillon that have worn out, and I have stripped some threads on it. Dillon replaced them with no questions. Nobody else has a warranty that good.

You can save money with a progressive press from Lee. I have used one, it worked, but not as well as a Dillon.

RCBS and Hornaday also have good presses. I have had RCBS equipment break. I shipped it to them and they fixed it no charge.

midwayusa.com has many presses in stock at good prices. You can compare there and look at manufacturers websites for warranty data.

• Jeff

move your dies to the dillon press. All standard dies have threads that fit into the standard threads found in all reloading press frames. If you dont know what they are...one of those dies is a de-capper/case sizer... a bullet seater die and a 3rd die for setting the crimp.

The basic adjustment for all dies in the frame is determined by turning the die body in it's treaded hole... testing for results and setting a lock ring when the height of the die in the frame is correct.

Read the Dillon manual if you dont know how to set up a die set. All die sets have some information also.

everything else you need to know is found in a reloaders data manual for the caliber your working with

I have been in "walking Gun" hobbies where on the start of every stage I had one magazine in the gun and ten(10) mags on my belt, all with my own reloads. I'd go by way of 800-1000 rounds in a single occasion. Not ever once did i have a "Lead Fouling" trouble. I've used a number of extraordinary brands of cast , lead/tin alloy bullets between 185gr and 200gr. Any well stocked gun or wearing goods store should have a "Bore Deleading" software however i've located that after a fit, striking half of a dozen Full steel Jacket rounds via does a best job deleading the bore.

In my well-educated opinion the best press for you to move up to is the Dillon 550B. Here's all you need to know: http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html (Probably the most popular and useful manual progressive press on the market, today. More versatile than a fully automatic progressive press, like the XL650, and less vulnerable to operator error.) I highly recommend the 550B for your use; and I'll bet that you keep it for a very long time!

• Jack

I agree with Jeff. Move your Lee dies to the Dillon.

I have the Lee Classic. Additional turrets are really cheap. They also swap out really easily, so you can just have one press and several different turrets. It isn't as nicely made as my Redding turret which is set up for .223, but it was a lot cheaper, and it does the job just as well. It takes about 5 minutes to change from .38/.357 to .45ACP. There are lots of great options, but that's one of the most cost effective.