Why did humans evolve from other primates?

Let me make certain that my understanding is correct. Evolution says that humans and apes share a common ancestor. Therefore, there was an organism in the distant past, and apes and humans bifurcated from that ancestor. Is this correct? Obviously, some organisms adapt. Look at peppered moths. They adapted with... show more Let me make certain that my understanding is correct. Evolution says that humans and apes share a common ancestor. Therefore, there was an organism in the distant past, and apes and humans bifurcated from that ancestor. Is this correct?

Obviously, some organisms adapt. Look at peppered moths. They adapted with the advent of the Industrial revolution. Predation became a problem, and natural selection solved it.

But why precisely did humans evolve? Darwin's finches adapted to their environments, as did the moths. So why was it necessary for humans to evolve in order to fit into our environment? Explain.