How to Wire a Digital Timer for a Light Fixture?

Hi. I'm trying to wire a digital timer for an outside lamp post. The lamp post was controlled by a simple on/off switch. I want to use CFL bulbs in the lamp post, so I got a digital timer that is compatible with CFLs. I got the GE Digital Timer Model Number 15312. The box to the timer says that a neutral... show more Hi. I'm trying to wire a digital timer for an outside lamp post. The lamp post was controlled by a simple on/off switch. I want to use CFL bulbs in the lamp post, so I got a digital timer that is compatible with CFLs. I got the GE Digital Timer Model Number 15312. The box to the timer says that a neutral wire is needed for installation.

The wires in the switch box are one black, one white and one copper. The wires on the digital timer are one white, one black, one green, one blue and one red. The directions say that for single pole installation the red wire is not necesary. I connected black to black, white to white, green to copper and I left the blue and the red alone. The lamp post does not work in this configuration.

Black is usually hot/line. Blue is usually load. Green is ground. And white is usually neutral.

Based on the wires that are in my box, can someone suggest a wire connection arrangement that may work? Thanks.
1 answer 1