Mochi question.. Please help!?

Hi.. So I've ate daifuku and mochi (don't exactly know the difference between the two) and I love them.. Now I don't live in Japan so I can't buy them.. I want to make them and I know you have to buy glutinous rice flour, but I've searched everywhere and can't find it.. So can I use rice flour instead or is not the same?

If not, sushi rice is available.. can I just grind that up to make glutinous flour or not?

Please help me..

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Do not substitute with any other rice product or try to make your own - you will be very disappointed. You can find it at almost any Asian market and often in large grocery chains. Alternatively, you can easily find it online from Marukai ( www.marukaiestore.com ) or Mitsuwa Marketplace ( http://www.mitsuwa.com/english/ ). Search on "mochiko" or "sweet rice flour"

"Mochi" is the plain, white, rice cakes made out of cooked, pounded glutinous rice.

"Daifuku" is a soft, round mochi stuffed with a sweet filling such as sweet red or white bean paste

Mochi (jap: ?) is a jap rice cake made up of glutinous rice pounded into paste and molded into shape. In Japan it is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki.[a million] mutually as additionally eaten 3 hundred and sixty 5 days-around, mochi is a universal nutrients for the jap New 3 hundred and sixty 5 days and is often offered and eaten for the duration of that factor. Mochi is likewise a well known snack in Hawaii, South Korea, Taiwan, Cambodia, and Thailand.

• Orz