Informing others about religion change?

What would be the best way to tell people about a religion change. Most if the people in my area are christian and I am considering becoming a norce pagan. How can I break it to them or do I keep it a secret? (all family are strong cristians)

Favorite Answer

It's not necessary to inform anybody about your religious beliefs especially if you know already that they won't like what they hear. Unlike Christians, pagans are not required to proselytize nor are they expected to suffer for their beliefs. Becoming a pagan martyr won't earn you any brownie points and it can create conflict that lasts a lifetime. My mother and sisters are Evangelical Christian and they just can't refrain from constantly telling me I have willingly chosen to go to Hell. It gets exhausting.

I believe that once you are sure that you'd like to become a Norse Pagan that you should only tell your closest family and friends. You should be proud of your religion, and you should embrace letting people become to know the real you. However, if you think that announcing your religion conversion could possibly be a danger to your safety, you might have to keep it a secret for a while.

Good for you for following your own path!!

One of the things you should ask yourself is what will you gain by telling them? Ultimately, your religion isn't anyone's business. So if you choose to tell people you should have a reason for doing so. If you just run around shouting "I'm a pagan" you're going to get negative reactions not because you're pagan but because you're attention seeking.

Personally, while I am out of the closet, it only comes up in certain circumstances. For example, when I stopped going to church I needed to explain that Christianity just wasn't my thing. I didn't even need to bring up what I *did* believe, just that I didn't belong in church.

Over time, various facts about what I DID believe in came out.

If you're wanting to tell your family, you should explain the basics of what you believe and then expect questions. Don't presume what they will ask or say. You may be surprised. Don't get defensive.

But telling them is your choice. If you don't want to tell them, and they ask, you can say that you prefer to keep your religious beliefs private, that you consider it between you and God. Because as long as you're an adult, it really isn't their business. (If you're a minor, your parents have the right to determine your religious upbringing)

Hard question. I myself am from a family of all Roman Catholic and Christians. A long time ago I just fell out of being a Christian, and converted to Atheism. Then one day it just slipped out. Kept it a secret for years. At first, my family was upset, (they're still trying to re-convert me.), but eventually they accepted it. All I can say is, if your family is really serious or vehement about their beliefs, be careful. Make sure that they understand your motives. But yes, I think telling is generally the best policy.

Why do they need to know? Religion is a personal thing, not a public matter. I wouldn't know the religion of most of the people I associate or work with and I don't care, the question has never arisen. Your family might need to be told if they expect you to follow their religion but it is no business of anyone else.

By the way, it's "Norse".

• Rick

What fun would it be to become a Norse Pagan, and then keep it secret? Come right out with it, and then give them poo for not respecting your beliefs.

Carry a little Thor's Hammer with you. When you see a crucifix, take the hammer and tap on the nails with it while laughing maniacally. They'll get the point.

maybe you should keep the secret if you are not legal 18 years old but if you are legal tell them