asked in 社會與文化語言 · 8 years ago

upon 跟on 用法 請幫我翻譯

[Usage note]: In modern English, the preposition upon has, by and large, the same meaning as the much more common word, on. There are only a small number of cases in which upon is obligatorily used by idiom, as, once upon a time (not: *once on a time), Upon my word! (not: *On my word!), Depend upon it! (not: *Depend on it!), He was put upon (not: put on) by his friends (‘He was made inconvenient or caused to suffer losses by his friends’), etc. Generally speaking, in all cases (contexts and meanings) in which on and upon can be used alternatively, on is usually the much more common, more colloquial word that is used in writing and, especially, in speech; whereas upon is the one that sounds more literary, more bookish, and even more “learned.”

Another difference, it is said, is that upon is more frequently used in British English than American English (this needs further corpus-linguistic justification). Occasionally, the use of upon, instead of on, may have the function of disambiguation, as, the effect of the short brisk word upon (on) style, where upon links the word style to a more remote head-noun, effect, rather than word, which it modifies. Upon, according to Follett (Modern American Usage: A Guide) is also “very occasional effects of emphasis, rhythm, or archaic tone” (p. 239).

拜託請幫我翻譯

越詳細越好

謝謝

1 Answer

Rating
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

[用法注意事項]:當代英文中,介係詞upon大體而言和另一個更廣為使用的on意思是相同的,只有很少數的情形,非得用upon不可,例如慣用語「從前」once upon a time(不可替換成once on a time),「絕無虛言」Upon my word! (不可改為On my word!說實話),「保證沒錯」Depend upon it! (不可改為Depend on it!由它決定),「他被朋友所利用」Hewas put upon (不可改為 put on穿上) by his friends (由於朋友的緣故,造成他的損失或不便)等等。. 另一差別在於,據說upon在英式英文裡使用頻率較美式英文高(這一點需由語料庫語言學來證實才行)。偶爾,使用upon來替代on,會有消除歧義(澄清)的功用,例如,在 the effect of the shortbrisk word upon (on) style 這句話中,upon連接了 style這個字和他所修飾的、距離較遠的主詞effect,而不是word這個字。依據Follett (當代英文使用手冊)的說法,Upon這個字,「偶爾有強調、押韻、古色古香的效果」。

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.