Christians: Do you believe in "once saved always saved"?

I think this doctrine was founded by Martin Luther and as a Christian I don't believe it. In Matthew 25:31-46 it is clear that at the Last Judgment Jesus rejects people who call Him Lord (so we could recognize them as Christians) because they didn't help the needy during their earthly life.

So. what's your opinion on this?

+++

Matthew 25:31-46

The Sheep and the Goats

31-33"When he finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all his angels with him, the Son of Man will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.

34-36"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:

I was hungry and you fed me,

I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,

I was homeless and you gave me a room,

I was shivering and you gave me clothes,

I was sick and you stopped to visit,

I was in prison and you came to me.'

37-40"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

41-43"Then he will turn to the 'goats,' the ones on his left, and say, 'Get out, worthless goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because—

I was hungry and you gave me no meal,

I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,

I was homeless and you gave me no bed,

I was shivering and you gave me no clothes,

Sick and in prison, and you never visited.'

44"Then those 'goats' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn't help?'

45"He will answer them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.'

46"Then those 'goats' will be herded to their eternal doom, but the 'sheep' to their eternal reward."

• Nous
    Favorite Answer

But so many believe that and think they can sin as much as they want and still be saved!

Research shows that the reason humans struggle with emotion to find equitable solutions is pinpointed the region of the brain called the insular cortex, or insula, which is also the seat of emotional reactions.

The fact that the brain has such a robust response to unfairness shows that sensing unfairness is a basic evolved capacity.

The emotional response to unfairness pushes people from extreme inequity and drives them to be fair. This observation shows our basic impulse to be fair isn't a complicated thing that we learn.

It therefore fully illustrates that all humans have morals controlled by the brain and that Christians are entirely wrong to try and claim morals as their own!!!!

But Christians found a way round it!

Government statistics show that christians are vastly over represented in prisons for sexual, violent and fraudulent crime!

The Catholic church is paying millions in compensation for the sex/pedophile crimes of their priests alone!

Christians are vastly over represented in the divorce courts!

Christians invented the concept of sin and then the idea that you could sin, ask forgiveness, get pardoned and start with a clean sheet!

So no surprise that they are so expert at it is it?!

A Christian is a man that feels repentance on Sunday for what he did on Saturday and is going to do on Monday. - Thomas Russell Ybarra

Source(s): California Institute of Technology

Anyone who knows the truth and then practice sin is NOT SAVED according to the Bible.

Hebrews 10:26-27

New Living Translation (NLT)

26 Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins. 27 There is only the terrible expectation of God’s judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies.

Here are other scriptures to prove the same point:

Matthew 24:13 [Young's Literal Translation]

13 but he who did endure to the end, he shall be saved;

James 2:14,26 [King James Version]

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Source(s): THE HOLY BIBLE

Most Christians - by a very large majority - do not accept the "once saved, always saved" doctrine.

However, there *is* a significant (= many people) minority of Christians that do believe in that doctrine.

The "once saved, always saved" Christians use this philosophy: anyone who does not receive eternal life was never really saved in the first place - and that includes anyone who was a devout Christian and who later rejects their faith. So: they would say about the goats in that passage that they were never saved in the first place.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

The record of these individuals call this into serious question -----

Judas Iscariot

Hymenaeus

Philetus

Diotrephes

Nicolaus

These are a few among the many that show "once saved is not always saved".

Source(s): One of Jehovah's Witnesses

Luther didn't invent "Once saved always saved" in the sense that "you can do whatever you want and still go to heaven", because that's false repentance. What Luther meant was that Christ's blood washes us clean of our sins, and gives us the gift of faith, but it is our choice to accept or reject this gift that God has given to humankind. Faith then produces works in our lives.

The majority of Christians don't sit down and read the Bible and wouldn't ever come across these kinds of details. There are countless contradictions within it so citing scripture never gets too far in discussion.

If once saved always saved were false doctrine, then Christ covering all of our sins is false doctrine. How can accepting Christ as savior cleanse us from sin's punishment if we can sin and face hell? That said, I don't believe we should sin that grace may abound and doing so might be a sign of false conversion.

• Provided the conversion is genuine and the person has been regenerated by God's spirit, one cannot lose one's salvation, although one can miss out on many blessings God has for that person in store. If we could lose our salvation, no one would be saved.

Wow if you have the love of Christ in your heart you'll always help those in need.

As an ex-Christian, I would have to say no. There is nothing to be saved from, so no one is actually ever saved from anything by believing the myths contained in the Bible.