Explanation of Thomas Jefferson quote?

I need an explanation of the quote in the Jefferson Memorial that reads "I am not an advocate for..." Full explanation please.

Favorite Answer

Hmmm. I think the quote in the Jefferson Memorial that you're referring to is:

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

Basically, Jefferson is saying that laws need to evolve in accordance with progress and changes in science and society; laws should not be fixed and static, but instead "keep pace with the times" as conditions change.

For example, technological advances have created the need for new laws--there were no laws regarding internet hacking in Jefferson's day, but they are necessary to address current technology. Also, societal events (e.g., gay marriage, bullying, stalking) that are part of our culture require that laws be created or modified now.

• ?

I am not an suggest for generic changes in legal guidelines and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human intellect. As that becomes more developed, extra enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the alternate of occasions, associations ought to advance additionally to hold percent with the occasions. We would as good require a man to wear still the coat which geared up him when a boy as civilized society to stay ever below the regimen of their barbarous ancestors. Jefferson, Thomas source: THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to Samuel Kercheval, July 12, 1816.The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Paul L. Ford, vol. 10, pp. 4243 .Inscription on the southeast quadrant of the Jefferson Memorial, Washington, D.C. The inscription omits some phrases with out ellipses. · This quote is set uncategorised · Search on Google Books to find all references and sources for this citation.