horoscopes: do you think graveyards are a waste?

a lot of space being taken up and really what is there but decaying flesh?

do you figure it helps in any way for a person to commune with a lost loved one ?

do graveyards creep you out?

however i gotta say... it is a nice atmosphere and it does encourage one to think of their ancestors.

Best Answer

I did a persuasive project on this in my speech class.

Yeah I think they're a waste of space. Land should be for the living, not the dead. The number of dead people in the entire of history of the earth is and always will be larger than the number of people alive at any given time. If we tried to "honor" all of the deceased by burying them in a hole in the ground and placing a rock on top of them, identifying them, then there would never be any room for the living to survive.

This website will briefly but effectively explain how little (usable) land the earth truly has. http://www.farmland.org/Flash/appleEarth.html

We can't build graveyards on swamps, mountains, or deserts.. Only on arable land--the land that is best for growing food on farms. Land needed to support life on earth. Why give that precious part of our earth away to death? Instead of building graveyards, we could be building more farms, schools, businesses, hospitals.. things that encourage a good life with abundance, instead of not having enough of something, whether it's food, or no education, or no medical attention, or no job.

Also burying people leads to much pollution. The materials used in creating traditional coffins are not biodegradable and it can also lead to groundwater contamination.

Each year, 22,500 cemeteries across the United States bury approximately:

827,060 gallons of embalming fluid (includes formaldehyde)

90,00 tons of steel (caskets)

2,700 tons of copper and bronze (caskets)

30 million board feet of hardwoods (caskets)

1,600,000 tons of reinforced concrete (vaults)

14,000 tons of steel (vaults) (1)

Today, a 10-acre cemetery has enough wood to rebuild 40 homes, 20,000 tons of concrete and enough toxic formalin to fill a small backyard swimming pool (2)

... anyway, cemeteries don't creep me out, I actually like walking through an old cemetery. I'm not saying we should get rid of the cemeteries already in existence but I do strongly believe people should stop taking part in this foolish tradition, that is, if they value life in any way, if they care at all about their descendants and the future of our planet. wanting to be buried is selfish and moronic. it benefits no one in any substantial way. when we are dead, nothing matters, I don't think we can have an opinion on anything regarding earth or our former life, we'll be in a completely different place

I'm not trying to disrespect the dead by saying all this either. But when someone we love dies, what good does it do us to have the knowledge that their body is rotting underground? The person we love is gone, because we don't love bodies, we love what's inside that body, we love the soul of a person. And the memory of that person will live among those that love him/her. I don't think anyone NEEDS a grave to remember the person they love and miss. So we might as well not create any more cemeteries, and stop wasting land. There are other better options for taking care of the remains of one's body, like green burials and cremation.

Source(s): (1) Compiled from statistics by the Casket and Funeral Association of America, Cremation Association of North America, Doric Inc., The Rainforest Action Network, and Mary Woodsen, Pre-Posthumous Society. (2) http://articles.mcall.com/2011-12-13/news/mc-allen...

Probably for the modern world, but the ones that are still in existence should be preserved. There are monuments in memorial for soldiers that have sacrificed their lives for their comrades as well as a cause they may have believed in; and this translates into a large elevated sculpture of a wounded lion pierced by numerous spears and arrows. There is also a bell tower a bit of ways opposite of this place, that has this urban legend that it would toll its bells with not that many people on the grounds nor in the tower. Also there were gravestones with an additional sculpture of a tree stump cut short, symbolizing an early death. And that some people leave stones atop burials and that removing them is considered something of great disrespect.

Yeah pretty creepy, because we don't know much (or remember possibly) about what happens after. But I would actually want to go their maybe once a week, if I could. The one I went to was on a school field trip in Savannah, Georgia--really beautiful one.

I think graveyards are a beautiful salute to our ability to remember and feel for others. It's a testimony for our ability to love others and to grieve their loss, to reflect on the impact they had on our lives. These qualities are some of the things that set us apart from lower-order animals.

I also feel that graveyards are beautiful, peaceful places. Sometimes I visit graveyards that I have no objective connection to and just think and feel. Graveyards remind us of death - not the war and pain of death, but the peace. Sometimes I think we forget about that. They hold much, much symbolic meaning. Everything need not have immediate practical value in this world. I think it is the symbolic features and events that often offer us the most meaning in the end, whether we realise it or not at the time.

I feel similarly about crematoriums, but I feel that the wide open spaces of graveyards hold a special kind of feeling. A connection with nature, perhaps. I thus consider graveyards to be very sacred places although I am not religious, and I do not consider them wastes of space by any means (at the very least, I wouldn't consider them more of a waste than a park).

Of course, there is a problem of overpopulation that needs to be seen to and people should consider cremation in the future, but as iris above says I think the population problem needs to be seen to first, as that's the real issue (and not namely because of the graveyards they produce, but for the many other problems overpopulation can potentially cause).

• Ava

I don't know if I'd say they are a waste, but a more viable alternative needs to be put in place for the future. In Europe they have been recycling graves and Greece has been looking into allowing cremation (currently Greek Orthodox people can only be buried).

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2011...

I'm not a religious person, but I do understand it is comforting for those who believe in such practices that their loved ones do have that final resting place. As a child I never understood the concept of death and burial and I equated being buried to being locked in a bin (I don't know why it was a bin of all things) forever and never being allowed out. I would rather be cremated and then just have my ashes scattered so even in death I am free.

Graveyards don't creep me out at all, my old house had one just over the back fence, In fact they were my favourite neighbours as they were the quietest :P The smell of a crematorium grosses me out and apparently they are not good to live near long term, especially for pregnant women (I'm not pregnant, but just saying).

The process of Aquamation where they essentially liquefy a body creeps me out, I'm too squeamish to even contemplate having that done or even organising it for someone else should it ever come up.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,202...

Edit: Iris is spot on about over population, you can't find a solution without first addressing the problem.

Source(s): Aquarius female
  • No, I think it's important to have a memorial of lost loved ones. As for decaying flesh, I believe that you give back to nature when you decompose. It just seems the natural cycle of life. Graveyards don't creep me out, my family always used to tell me "The dead will never hurt you, it's the living that you have to watch out for". Which actually makes perfect sense when you think about it. Also, I go to graveyards to reflect on things sometimes. It's a place where people are resting in peace, ultimate peace. I've suffered episodes of depression and going to someones grave (especially a young person's) makes me grateful that I'm alive and healthy with my whole life ahead of me.

As morbid as it sounds, it sometimes fascinates me to see the dates, ages, names, people's thoughts and last words.. The inscriptions you get from family and friends are often beautiful to see, it's pure human emotions stripped - to see how even in a society that's supposedly as selfish as it is now - that we still love people with all of our hearts and can't bear to miss certain people in our lives.

Source(s): Aquarius.
  • Carmen

I don't like tombs and coffins. If everyone got cremated and buried in a little box, then that would save space. I wonder if anyone ran a calculation - given the current rate of population growth, in what year will the entire land area of the earth be 100% graveyards?

I wouldn't say its a waste of space... Cause some people need that closure.

But personally I would rather be cremated, I mean whats the point of keeping a decaying body around? Plus funeral costs are outrageous, its better to just spread ashes wherever I feel fit when my time comes. It isn't like our soul is in that shell anymore, we have moved on - I just don't see the whole point in keeping them.

They don't creep me out. They actually give me a sense of peace & humbles me a bit. I have driven through cemeteries days when I feel overwhelmed, it just snaps me back to reality in a sense. I also find it interesting to see what age they were when they passed on.

I guess maybe for the zombie apocalypse ? hahah jk

Source(s): Pisces Sun Scorpio Asc - Pluto house 1
  • Jr

No they aren't a waste. I believe that everyone deserves some respect whether dead or alive, I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

No graveyards don't creep me out , they are just there...

You spend too much time indoors, if they do or too much time watching scifi

Source(s): Personal experience

Right up my alley Avatar name-wise. I'm not afraid of graveyards but it takes up a lot of room. The physical cannot communicate but the soul can. Having said this, the physical body is useless once its dead. Compare the human body as a vehicle and the driver is the soul. Once the vehicle dies, the soul continues onto another life.

Source(s): ☺ The Undertaker
  • ­

I have a morbid fascination with graveyards, so I don't think they are a waste. I see over-population as the serious underlying problem.

Source(s): Pisces