Half Drawn Boy asked in SportsCricket · 8 years ago

Are England only now topping the test ratings because less international cricketers are playing county cricket?

For the past century top test international cricketers have always been invited by English county teams to play county cricket in England. This has obviously disadvantaged the England test team because we have allowed international cricketers to accustom to English conditons and learn how to play here. Now that international players are being enticed by T20 contracts around the world, international players no longer know how to handle English conditions and the battlefield is even. England have won every home series under Strauss and Flower and shot to no1 in the world.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'd just say that you've got a bunch that's better than everyone else atm. Because while players could get used to conditions, there wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 from any given team at one time, and the county players could only benefit from having to play against internationals. Force them to lift their standard higher to get the better of them.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Add to the mix the fact that England doesn't script it's wickets to align with it's bowling strategy - and yes - visiting teams enjoy a more even playing field than in any other country.

A credit to just how strong the current England team are. They are on top because of talent more than any other single factor.

South Africa will be in for a nasty shock I think:

An in form confident Strauss v a wooden Smith

England batting to ten v South Africa all out for seven

South Aftrica Coughchokecough.

The subcontinent tour should be a giggle - playing a team with no bowlers should be a doddle - assuming anything other than flat dead dust strips of course.

• 8 years ago

there mite be something in that but i think its more of the case no team out there is dominating anyone like the old Aussies side used to , the teams that get to number one position cant hold onto it for long as they tour other countries condition's England are not dominating they are doing just enough to stay at number one for now !! dont forget windies are missing half there team but they still did quite well considering things could be a lot different if they were all there and on form

• 8 years ago

Going to beat the crap out of the Poms when they visit India.4-0 is on the cards .Only a few months left for them to stay number one.The home track bullies got beaten 3-0 by Pak now its our turn.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I agree

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No.....I think you have forgotten the Pak - Eng series in neutral venue......

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

i don't agree

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.