Is four and a half hours enough of a layover time to leave Frankfurt International Airport for a quick bite?

I have a very close friend who lives in Frankfurt and it would be absolutely amazing to leave the airport for just an hour or so to meet her and grab a quick bite with her. Maybe we can even eat at the airport itself?

I heard somewhere that the airport officials decide whether you can leave the airport or not. I understand that I would have to go through customs and all but do you think this is a feasible thing to do?

I am a United States citizen so it seems that I do not require a visa to enter into Germany..

• Gerd P
    Favorite Answer

It depends on your [unknown] nationality whether or not you may leave the intenational transit area and actually enter the country. You can only pass through immigration run by the German Federal Police if you do not need a visa for Germany of if you hold a Schengen visa or a residence permit for a Schengen country.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/EinreiseUndAufen... ..

Trains only take 15 minutes to the city center; so if you can leave the international transit zone you could easily use that option..

Edit:

As American citizen you can leave the airport. Get a day pass for the train (€8.00) and meet your friend at Hauptwache railway station to have a walk through the historical part of the old city and to enjoy a good German dish.