is she still a vegetarian?

my friend says shes vegetarian, but she eats mollusk like clams, scallop, oysters and stuff. she doesn't eat fish, no animals, no insect, no birds but eat eggs and milk.

she became vegetarian for religious reason. she's a Buddhist

she claims shes a vegetarians because mollusk are not animals. (at least not in the teaching of Buddhism...maybe its because they don't move to any significant degree? I dunno what ancient people think) the mollusk are "sea plants" and is vegetable (in her Buddhist learning)

and therefore, you do not reincarnate into mollusk. so she says shes vegetarian

i say no way. but i guess she can claim whatever she wants

what do you think?

Update:

really? scallop and oysters have heart and brain? last time i check they don't...but i can be wrong....

Update 2:

lol obviously she only eat unfertilized eggs. shes very clear on that.

Update 3:

Im sry skyle but i think plants are living things too....

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As a Buddhist, the only restriction on what she eats is this:

1. SHE cannot kill a living being in order to eat it

2. She cannot eat a living being that was killed by someone else, with the intention to feed HER that being.

Buddhists do NOT have to be vegetarians. Many CHOOSE to be.

As for the definition of vegetarians:

1. Some vegetarians do not eat land animals, but eat animals from the water

2. Some vegetarians eat NO animals

3. Vegans do not eat any animals, nor do they eat animals products.

Well, mollusks ARE animals. Even in the teachings of Buddhism.

I have been trained in Tibetan Buddhism, for over 10 years, by one of the Dalai Lama's monks.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Um...mollusks are still animals. You find one open, you tap the shell a bit to see if the animal is still alive. If it's alive, it'll close. If it's not alive, then it'll stay open and you don't cook with it. No way would anyone mistake it for a plant.

No, she's not a vegetarian. As the above person says, if she's that dumb, don't bother trying to correct her. She'll still call herself a vegetarian and "correct" you by saying that only vegans avoid all those things.

Vegetarians do eat milk and eggs.

Also, most Asian vegetarians don't consider eggs vegetarian. In ancient times, there wasn't really a consistent way to eat eggs that were unfertilized. Eggs are considered vegetarian in the West, not really in the East. If she's claiming to use Buddhism as a way to defend her diet, then she needs to study it a bit more.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

They are an interesting case, Peter Singer a bioethicist & part of the animal welfare movement says if any gray area to be drawn between sentience & pain it is somewhere in the area of primitive molluscs like Oysters. Ultimately he gives them the benefit of the doubt as they can be avoided as a food source, but he himself cannot give any ethical reason that is grounded to not eat them. As for clams i am not sure, they do move around if disturbed.

There may even be less collateral damage done in eating oysters & such due to the environment they are bred in having minimal bycatch if any as compared to agricultral land which has pesticides & harvesters killing rodents & birds.

From a definition/puristic/dogmatic approach she is not a vegetarian, but if her reasons are ethical for avoiding the consumption of animals. Then oysters may well be in line with that, though she'd be termed a pescetarian. But at the end of the day who cares? I doubt shes that much of a poser to care for losing a label & is more concerned with ethical eating ie respecting life & eating in sustainable ways.

Besides doesn't the dalai lama of the tibettan school of buddhism eat veal?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I have constantly been vegetarian, ever for the reason that i was once born. I am 17 now and i have tried going vegan thrice.. They are saying that vegetarian or vegan is the long run due to 80% of grain going towards cattle ect. I like the concept of more vegetarians, i best comprehend two outside my family :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

there are vegetarians who consume fish and eggs, so its not a crime if she eats clams, scallop, and oysters. She has to get the protein for her body through some foods at least right? N yes she can claim anything she wants. Its her rights

• Dude
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Seafood are animals. By the way, mollusks are not "sea plants," as they have a heart, and organs.

Anyways, if she is this dumb, don't bother persuading her. She's not a true vegetarian.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

There have been a few questions along these lines lately - there are some interesting answers

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnXmF...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201205...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201202... (the best answer here is not one of the interesting ones!)

If your friend is a vegetarian according to her Buddhist beliefs, then that's where she draws the line, so you'll just have to accept that.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

She is not a vegetarian if she eats mollusk.

Vegetarians don't eat any form of meat.

Eggs and milk are fine if you are a vegetarian (not if you are vegan).

Source(s): I'm a vegetarian.
  • MSS
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I don't know who rate answers here... But I just would like point out that user "Been There"'s comment is RIGHT and I have no idea who rated him so bad.

To answer your question, you don't have to be a perfect Buddhist. As long as you do your best to not harm others, you should be fine. In my opinion, she is not a vegetarian. You can practice Buddhism not by rules, but by principles! Read this for example: http://sanuja.com/blog/how-to-practice-buddhism/

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

no. she's a pescatarian. clams, scallops and oysters are all living things. she's wrong

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.