Best Breakup Album: Rumours by Fleetwood Mac?

Would anyone care to disagree?

Hell R&P

The album Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was made when the band was in intense relationship termoil, forcing each of the members to come up with some of the best material of their life.

The song "Dreams" contains the line "but listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness like a heartbeat drives you mad, in the stillness of remembering what you had and what you lost"

...which is basically a very eloquent way of saying f*** you...isn't that everything you've ever wanted to say to someone who's done you wrong?

Anybody have any breakup albums equivalent to the tragic Rumours?

Favorite Answer

I think you nailed it because generally when people break up, they break up / walk away from each other / and are in each other's daily lives no longer.... Fleetwood Mac ~ all being artists and wanting to express themselves through their music ~ and being part of a larger whole (a group), was highly unusual in that they stuck together and continued to make their music together. And it's such great stuff that came out of those sessions. Everyone who's ever had their heart broken can relate. Everyone who's ever been pissed off at the person who broke their heart can relate. And everyone who has then gone on and found something better can relate.

It was a huge smash album for a good reason.

Personally, I don't see the lyrics in Dreams to be "pissed off" lyrics. To me they're sadness and loneliness personified ~ not anger. For anger look to "Go Your Own Way" ;-)

1

Source(s): #1 Ex Back Secrets - http://ExBack.oruty.com/?VsBR

I haven't heard all the songs from Rumours, I am not hugely familiar with Fleetwood Mac (although I do like them), so I can't comment on the quality of that album, but I will say that I think Blood on the Tracks is a very good breakup/divorce album by Bob Dylan (Would be even better if Call Letter Blues had made the cut instead of Meet me in the Morning and if they had used the original version of Idiot Wind). The best songs in my opinion are Idiot Wind, Shelter from the Storm and Simple Twist of Fate, but they're all mostly very good.

Its a brilliant album, every song is great. If you are thinking of buying it first take a look at 'Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' this is great also. But then I have not had a bad album yet from Fleetwood Mac, they are brilliant.

• Red

Rumours is a good choice but I'd personally pick Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_on_the_tracks

Bob was separated from his wife Sara, at the time and a lot of the album was inspired by it.

i think blood on the tracks and here my dear by marvin gaye are better break up albums than rumours.

"you can go you're own way"