Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How to title vintage car with no title but with Bill of Sale?

I live in Independence, Ky. I am interested in purchasing a vintage car. I have heard (online forums) that a person can title a vintage car without a title with proper documentation. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone have first-hand experience at doing this?

• rob d
    Favorite Answer

it can be a long process. you can end up paying taxes for everytime it changed hands but was not registered. go to the dmv before purchase.

• robbie

you need to deliver the bill of sale to the DMV. The vin must be someplace somewhat extra everlasting than a paper label on the glove field door. look on the dashboard interior the left corner? Or contained in the driving force's door? I even have an extremely old Volkswagen that still shows its VIN (that's 10 numbers long, and has no letters, haha) in those places. i these days bought a automobile that had no identify, yet I introduced my bill of sale and crammed out the request for identify style on the DMV and became in a position to sign in it a similar day.

You need to find the VIN on the frame. ( you can use a piece of paper and a pencil to high light it also)Go to the car insurance co, and get it insured. They will run the number thru the DMV database to make sure it is legitimate. Then go register it. Note that some unscrupulous people use other's VIN's on their vintage cars. Good luck.

Depends on the state, My state will not issue titles for cars made before 1975.

All you need to transfer one is a bill of sale from the registered owner via the tag records.

Likewise, you don't need a title when selling one assuming you registered it in your name to begin with.