Neon.
Neon. asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Should I buy a road or cyclocross bike?

I'm not competitive, I bike mostly for fun and commuting. Calgary streets can be rough, both in condition and weather. I also worry if a road bike can handle curbs and occasional pot holes. If not I'll go for the cross.

Also, how would a cross compare to a road if the treads were switched out for slicks?

Favorite Answer

The only difference between the wheels on cyclocross bikes and regular road bikes is the tires. Cyclocross bikes have more frame clearance and so have space for wider tires. Curb hopping is not recommended for either type of bike, and good cyclists avoid potholes when they can which is 99% of the time if they look where they are going. Cyclocroos bikes are slower overall on the road because they have lower overall gearing, the big ring is smaller on a 'cross bike even if a road bike uses a compact crank. There are road bikes that have a bit more tire clearance and so they can handle wider tires and even have space for mudguards. It isn't as if there are set limits for wheels and tires on any type of bike. There is a class of bike known as an audax bike that sort of falls between road race bikes and touring bikes. These bikes have room for wide tires, mounting points for racks and fenders and more relaxed frame geometry. These bikes are used for long distance endurance events like Paris-Brest-Paris and Montreal-Boston- Montreal where riders do rides of up to 1200 km in as little as 2 1/2 days

No road bike (Cyclocross or otherwise) is built or designed to go curb hopping. Tires on a cross bike are slightly wider & therefore would absorb normal road imperfections a little better. A road bike would be faster.

By keeping the tires inflated properly & using thorn resistant tubes or tire liners by Mr. Tuffy - you shouldn't have any major problems.