Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 9 years ago

Are Canadians embarrassed that their country is associated with the outdated system of hereditary monarchy?

...an archaic system by which luck of birth within a British family determines status to the very level of Canadian head of state? This question seems pertinent since the entire system of monarchy is on full display as the world's media focuses attention on Queen Elizabeth II's anniversary celebrations.

Incidentally, I love Canada and Canadians, having travelled there many times. I look forward to your insights regarding the lingering system of monarchy in Canada.

Favorite Answer

Yes. Especially since I work in retail and I occasionally get tourists who snicker about the Queen being on our money and that we pay more per person annually to support the Monarchy than the Brits pay in Britain.

No, I'm not embarrassed, I'm indifferent.

I don't think anyone sees us that way and certainly I don't give it a second thought.

What so many people don't realize is that we have no ties to the UK and the Queen doesn't have any say in our affairs.

We fly the Canadian flag. (the Maple Leaf)

We sing the Canadian national anthem (O Canada)

We democratically elect our own government

We enjoy all the rights and freedoms of our neighbouring republic and then some....yes it's true.

Most Canadians don't think about the monarchy....the subject never comes up in our day to day lives.

They visit once in a while and give nice speeches and stay out of our affairs.

Honestly, I really don't care.....

Have a look at any list of the best countries to live in in the world.

Now, count the number that are constitutional monarchies. A clear majority, right? 9 of 10 maybe? That's because monarchies work.

It is cheap - MUCH cheaper than a Presidential system.

It gives us apolitical leadership, instead of a person that many voted against.

It has links with history.

It's cool!

And, most of all, it works.

• ?

Lmao embarrassed of what? Canada is part of the Commonwealth which nowadays is nothing more than a club of countries honouring their past. Nowadays it is ceremonial, the Queen may be Canada`s head of state but in reality she has no power over Canadian politics and laws.

Let me put it in simple terms for you, how much power does Queen Elizabeth II have in David Cameron`s Conservative party in the UK? the answer - zero. Same goes for Canada.

Canada is among the top countries on earth to live in, with one of the highest qualities of life in the developed world, Canadians aren`t embarrassed of anything, on the other hand if I were you i`d be embarrassed for asking such a stupid question - yes there are such things as stupid questions.

If you have a problem with your form of Government why do you feel it is a concern for Canadians.

This question seems Troll like in its form

. For clarification of the wonderful system of HM government please contact your ward mate. Your lingering interest in the the social culture and political life a another country is truly disturbing. How does the celebration of this special event NOW make the question pertinent? To whom are you referring? They have been at the job for over a thousands years. Why as a BRIT do you care who CANADA and Canadians choose as head of state? Do you have a problem with our choice are you trying to indicate in some backhanded way that Canadians are INFERIOR or STUPID in their choice of head of state?

Do you feel our head of state has not preformed her duties well?

I wonder are to trying to belittle Canadians and their choice of head of state? Are you trying to say the Mother land knows best and we should question it like you do?

As a BRIT are you saying your knowledge of the the Monarchy and the associated hereditary titles is somewhat Superior to the Canadian knowledge? Are you saying that Canadians are so knowledgeable that you NEED or WANT their input? Are you so vain that you need your ego stroked by how the world media views your country.HM is just one person the other 60,000,000 Brits do a great job in representing your fine country at world events. Many such displays on you tube. Here are a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKShQPn4lfM

Your version of politics has little to be desired in most of the civilised world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWYwkkcG64A&feature...

Glad you had a pleasant journey in Canada sorry did not learn anything while you were here. Since you liked it it I guess how we do things meets with your approval and their is no more need for these petty questions.

Maybe Canada has a much better way of dealing with the Football Hooligans too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtGsSUyFPg&feature...

• Jeff H

Well as a Canadian, born and raised here, I am not embarrassed nor do I consider the idea of a monarchy any more outdated than any of the other examples of government in the world. Also, the British monarchy has not authority in Canada but the Canadian monarchy serves a traditionally role in a few political areas. However any authority they exert in Canada is at the request of the Canadian government which is elected by the Canadian people.

• Ric

This Canadian is not particularly proud of, and definitely not supportive of, our monarchy. However I am not really embarrassed by it.

Having a 'democracy' where there are really only two choices, a right wing party and a far right wing party, now that's kind of embarrassing...

Nah, we need someone to put on our money. We haven't had a good-looking prime minister since... well never.

That's pretty much it as far as the monarchy goes. I don't think the Queen has given us an order since the day she took the job, so it's not a big deal.

• Missy

Like many have said before me, the Queen doesn't really have any power it's all just symbolic. Canada is its own country, it's part of the Commmonwealth, and like another person previously said, they celebrate the history of their countries together (and more), etc. All in all, I'm not embarrassed at all.

The monarchy is completely ceremonial and has no effect on everyday life or government.