BABY V asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Stopping my negative obsessive thoughts (also religious).?

Im16 years old and lately ive been having anxiety for about a month now. These anxious feelings seem like they have come out of nowhere and im wondering when it will ever stop. I used to be a very chill kinda girl that just cared about living life to the fullest and having fun. I used to be so full of hope and excitement about my future but now i dont know whats gone wrong with me.

Ive been getting negative thoughts like "f God" "let the devil in me" "the devil lives in me" and alot of thoughts like that, which also seem to have come out of nowhere. Lately I would be anxious about the fact that these thoughts would be summoning demons to me, which has terrified me. I know this is all in my head and its the anxiety thats making me think that im calling demons to me, but i dont know how to calm down anymore.

I read this article that was really good about how to stop obsessive thoughts by just watching them and not getting involved and saying how we're not what goes through our minds, which calmed me down so much, but my habit of getting involved with my thoughts has somewhat not gone away and also causes me to get even more anxious.

Im born again believer in Jesus Christ and ive talked to alot of people about this, and again i know this is most likely me being bored and making up problems in my head, but this just wont leave my mind and i cant wait to get it out, forget about it and move on to better things. Im usually not like this, thats why im not used to it and im anxious to get over this feeling but i dont see how i am if i cant seem to ignore the thoughts that run through my mind. Before i had this anxious problem, i would be extremely chill. If i got a thought about the devil coming near i would easily just brush it off and move on, but nowadays they stick in my head and feels like forever before they ever leave.

When i told my mom about this she told me to pray more, i have to admit that scared me because i felt that that meant something was wrong with me, even though i already pray on a consistent basis. I dont want to have problems like OCD, but i know my anxiety is getting out of hand. In my right mind I know the devil will never posses me but there's still that doubt that gets me anxious every time i have these thoughts. Also whenever i get thoughts like let the devil in me and lets say i get a little nudge feeling in my head i get even worst anxiety than before because again i would think i called some sort of evil spirit. Everytime i get like this i tell myself that its just anxiety, but how do i overcome this period in my life.

I feel like this is not a real obstacle, but one i made up in my mind and i hear how the obstacles you make up are the hardest ones to conquer.

ps: my mom will never send me to counseling, so what advice i get now ill just have to talk it out with my friends and family.

Thank you in advance :)!

Favorite Answer

All I can say is to pray for healing. Ask him to help you fight. There's a couple of passages in the bible that I don't know off the top of my head but one is about wearing God's armor to fight against evil and the other is that God will never give us more than we can handle. I find that comforting when I'm facing anxiety and depression. It may feel like things are really bad but you can handle it because God is your protector. I will pray for you!

Even though you don't want it, it sounds like you have OCD.

Obsessing over religious thoughts can be a kind of OCD.

Sometimes prayer itself can become a ritual, so it isn't always the best thing to do. You say you are praying almost constantly, which sounds like compulsive behavior.

http://www.ocdonline.com/articlephillipson10.php

You cannot control your thoughts, only your reaction to them.

Check out stuckinadoorway.org/forums

It is a good OCD forum.

OCD is an anxiety disorder so learning new and better ways to relax and calm yourself will help