LOLeah
LOLeah asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

What do you think/do about strangers touching your kids?

I don't mean "touching" with malicious intent, obviously, I have a pretty good idea what parents think about that...I mean when you're in line at the grocery store or something and a well meaning person behind you "pets" them in some way or something like that.

This has happened to me a few times and as my daughter never reacted badly to it, I've just smiled and quickly gone about my business. But it kind of bothers me, just because I've seen it backfire before. Some kids don't like to be touched, especially by people they don't know. Then they get upset and cry and the stranger feels bad and it's like...well, kids deserve personal space too and you shouldn't just go around thinking you can put your hands on them. Right?

• Kayla
    Favorite Answer

It bothers me too! It hasn't happened often but on the occasion that it has I basically did like you...smile and walk away. My oldest is 8 and my youngest is almost 5 months, both girls. The only time I ever said anything was when my oldest and I were at the mall and we were waiting to make a purchase and a man was behind us and he kept looking at her and then reached out and touched her hair like ran it through his hand and said that she was very pretty!! It may have been innocent (highly doubt it) but I wasn't very polite. I told him (yelled rather) that he better not ever touch my daughter again and that he is lucky I didn't call the police and that he can't go around touching other peoples children and so on. My husband said if he was there he'd of told him to step outside and teach him a lesson! When we left my daughter said thank you mommy because I didn't like that at all. I told her I would ALWAYS protect her.

This is a great question!

It doesn't really bother me so long as it doesn't bother my son. He is quite an affectionate kid so he's not much for personal space haha. It doesn't happen very often but like you said, there is the odd person in line at the grocery store who will pat their arm or something and say he's cute. If it bothered him at some point I would ask them not to touch him because he doesn't like it. People are well meaning for the most part, it's happened at the park before where he was on the other side of the park and fell and a near by parent picked him up before I got to him, which I appreciated. I would do the same, I wouldn't want to just stand there while some little kid was crying and hurt.

• ?

It bothers me too, especially since my daughter is one of those kids who don't like to be touched by strangers at all. I just find it weird. Even though it's harmless I would never go up to a kid I didn't know and touch them.

That doesn't happen to us very often, or ever that I can really recall, but I don't like the idea of it. My 3 year old daughter is one of *those* types who don't like touched...especially by her big brother lol. Heaven forbid you touch her hair...OMG, it's the end of the world. I teach my kids to respect other people's space and privacy, regardless of their age or relationship to another, so I expect strangers to do the same but we all know that it's always possible.

• CMC

I know what you mean.I never want to hurt the persons feelings either.But it's confusing for kids, we always tell them not to let strangers talk to them or touch them and then that happens and your kids see you letting it happen so they think it's okay for some people to touch them.How are they supposed to know which people have good intentions and which are trying to lure them into the back of the van?It bothers me to, but it's hard to voice that without looking mean or unfriendly.

Oh Zorro, LOL.

There's no WAY I'd ever allow that. How do I know if somebody is a creep or something? No, complete strangers are not allowed to touch my kids in public, and we don't touch other kids either.

I hate it.I remember taking my son for his first set of jabs and this man started stroking his face,his hands were filthy and he stank of booze.I moved the pram away and all I could think was "Get your hands off my baby!".Not really wanting to cause a scene in the doctors I just murmured answers to his questions and then practically ran when the doctor called us through.I usually just move my son away from people who are touching him.I just hate it,almost as much as I hate people who just go round laying their hands on you when you're pregnant (it only happened once to me,I really must have been giving F off or die vibes).Urgh,some people just don't have any social decency

Well, your example is just creepy, only like old people from a different era do stuff like that. Only time I will touch a strange kid is if were being introduced. It's usually a five or if its a boy I might rub their head like "wassup little man" or whatever. People did it to me as a kid it made me feel like they liked me.

I wouldn't like it at all! I don't even let people touch my stomach now that i'm pregnant strangers or not its like MY baby,I go mother goose on someone trying to touch me to feel my baby especially without permission I can't even imagine how I'll be when he's born and i'm like sort of a germaphobe when it comes to me or baby

I tell them, if you touch it you own it. How do you think Ive worked myself down from 12 kids to only 6. Unfortunately for me I live in a small town and the people have gotten wise to that trick (they also catch onto sticking an extra kid their cart when they aren't looking, in case you were going to try that next).