Price to repaint a rear car bumper?

I rear ended someone and there is literally three scratches on her bumper. No dents, nothing. How much would this cost? I don't want her screwing me out of my money

Favorite Answer

Not knowing the kind of car or knowing just what you mean by "scratches" I can only guess. If just light scratches then the cost should be under $100, but if deep scratches where the complete bumper needs repainted it can cost around $600 to do correctly. Only a body shop doing the work can give you the correct cost amount

• Until a qualified body shop inspects the damage there's no way to say what the repair cost might be.

Most modern bumpers are actually hidden from view. The plastic body-color covering is not the bumper at all, just a cover. The actual bumper is mounted behind the plastic cover. A body shop may have to remove the plastic cover to inspect the actual steel bumper, it's mounting points, and the frame horns where it's attached. The car may need to be put on a frame jig to see if any parts of the frame or unibody were knocked out of alignment by the impact.

What might feel like a minor "love tap" can actually cause significant hidden damage to the bumper itself and other parts of the car. The plastic cover may show little or no damage but there can be hundreds of dollars of other damage hidden from view. Merely painting the cover may only be $200 to $300 but you might be out $200 for the bumper beam and $400 worth of time in a frame jig to straighten out the frame horns where it's attached.

Ask the other driver to provide you with a formal estimate of the damages from a body shop. If you don't like the numbers, pay her to take it to the body shop of your choice.

As a couple of other respondents have noted, until it's been inspected by a body shop there's no way to say what the repairs might cost. It could be as little as a couple hundred for prep, masking, feather sanding, plasticizer, color coat, and 2 top coats or well over $1,000 if there's hidden damage. Anyone who just blurts out a number does not know what they are talking about.

I was rear-ended several years ago in my old minivan. It just looked like it was slightly rubbed. The other driver's insurance company initially offered me $200 to go away. I took it to a body shop for a formal estimate that came in at $1,690. The bumper itself was bent as was the rear unibody. They sent out their adjuster who came up with $1,800. They quickly cut me a check for $1,800. Since it was a bit of a beater, I just pocketed the money towards a new car and gave the minivan away to a friend who needed a car.

• paramo

repaint a motor vehicle differs...it relies upon on how enormous the section become, this variety of paint shade n such like that...if she additionally had a dent interior the bumper than that value money to restoration besides so as that become prolly further in to the value of repaintingthe bumper besides....it isnt like they simply paint over the only section on the bumper that the paint got here off..they do the whole bumper so the paint fits in the time of

• Matt

You could probably just use scratch remover if it's that minor. No need to repaint the whole thing

under 200

• Bill

$150-$200 if it is just a paint blemish.