Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Can my manager fire me?

I recently(3weeks ago) started working at racetrac the gas station it is a 24 hour store. I go to college and also do ride alongs with the fire department. My manger just put me to work over nights and there is no way I can actually work over night what should I do? Can she fire me for saying I can't work overnights?

• ?

What does doing ride alongs with the fire dept. have to do with your working? Unless it would interfer with you working when the job needs you. If that is the case then stop riding along with the fire dept. They don't pay you and you need to get your priorities straight. You need a job and you need to go to school.

Yes, she can fire you. AND if you are not a good worker she can make your job hours uncomfortable enough that you will leave and you will be hard pressed to prove her reasoning behind the hours you must work.

Source(s): lona

With very few limitations depending on where you live, your employment is a the discretion of the manager/owner, and she can fire you for pretty much anything, including not being able to work your schedule.

• ?

Yes. You work for your employer, not the other way around. If you can't do the job they want you to do or work the shift they need you to work, then they can fire you and find someone who can. A job isn't welfare.

Did you make your availability clear when you were hired?

Yes they can fire you - within the first month for no cause at all. However refusing to work your shift is cause.

• ?

You can be fired at any time for any reason, or for no reason at all.

And if you're in college, WHY don't you know how to write a proper damn English sentence?

Of course she can fire you. You work for your employer, not the other way around.

• wizjp

Weirdly enough, employers need employees who can work the shifts they need covered.

Yes. She can fire you.

Can she? Yes, and it would be legal.

You have nothing to lose by talking with your manager since you might have to quit anyway.

If your manager is reasonable person, and you are good employee, she might be willing to help you out.

did you tell them that you could ONLY work such and such hours before you started.

IF not then yes she can fire you,