Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Do you think this man looks like a mulatto?

I had a DNA through 23andme.com, and it revealed me as 99.81% European and 0.19% African. That's the first I ever heard about any African admixture in my heritage. A few days ago I made a connection on Ancestry.com with a distant cousin who had a photo of my great-great-grandfather. To me, he looks a bit like a mulatto. What do you think?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sl4h9y&s=6

Update:

@Sunday: He was born in 1861 in Nicholas County, Virginia (now West Virginia).

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The term use to be used on the Census to defined a person who had one white and one black parent. It hasn't been used in many years. Not he doesn't look mixed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't. Do you have any information on him, like birth date and place?

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years
  • 9 years ago

I don't think so. Did your 23 andme.com tell you how far back the DNA test went? Probably thousands, not 150?

• Dan
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Not especially. I think on 23andme anything 1% or lower might just be statistical noise.

• 9 years ago

only hillibillies use that word...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.