Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 years ago

Help! PLEASE? :( Need some advice...?

So last year wasn't so great for me... I'm taking up civil engineering, a course I just realized that I don't like. When I was in high school, I wasn't really sure of what I want. I just came up with an idea and went it. I wasn't even sure what a civil engineer does back then. College math just drives me nuts. I failed one math subject. Twice. And I have to take it up again for the third time. And I don't have that much friends at school. I have this one friend who kinda depends on me all the time but I can't even count on her as much. That gets me even more devastated. I need friends to keep me motivated and happy when I feel so stressed out with school stuffs. I feel so bad like I've drained out all my energy. I used to be happy back in high school (except for my first year). School wasn't that hard and I was surrounded with friends who always make me laugh. I hate this situation I'm in right now. This might not sound as bad as it actually is... but really, it's just so bad.

I'm thinking about taking a year off school.. besides, I'm only 17 and I can always go back to school.. maybe I should take a break and let myself breathe for a while and maybe learn how to play a guitar which I've always wanted to do and maybe even get a temporary job so I can buy things my parents won't buy me. But I don't know if I have the guts to tell my family that I wanna quit school. They will all be disappointed in me. They'll probably say things like, it's a stupid idea, that it's just a waste of time, don't be like your brother... and then they'll ask me questions... that's the part I hate the most.

I've thought about this a lot. I've asked myself... What if taking a year off school is a bad idea and will only make things worse? Does it make me weak for quitting for a while? and what horrifies me is the thought of growing old and realizing that I'm not happy because I didn't follow my heart.

So school's about to start again in two weeks and I still haven't made up my mind yet. Should I go on and endure the stress that's been driving me nuts? Or should I follow my heart and tell everyone that I quit and they should deal with it. God, it's just so hard...

PLEASE! ANY ADVICE WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED! I really need some help right now. What are your thoughts? What do you think I should do?

btw, I'm an incoming 2nd year college student... and i'm not planning on totally quitting school as others have misunderstood... thanks.

1. STAY in school. Once you leave it is very hard to get back in and get going

2. Every kid is stressed at your age. Those that act not stressed are most stressed

3. I am an engineer, and love of math is necessary, perhaps not for you

4. You must look hard within yourself, and find what it is you are good at and like doing.

Do you enjoy taking care of people?

The world needs more caretakers, medical, counseling (psych)

Do you enjoy writing or reading?

What do you really enjoy (not computer games, etc). At 17 - we all do not know what we want to be when we "grow up"

Even adults are confused

We change careers often

Just try to find a starting point or path and go from there

You started on engineering and found you do not like the most important element of engineering (math)

So

Find another path and go on

If that path is not right, find another path

Just like finding your way outside of a maze...keep on finding a path using your heart and soul to drive you

And most important - never give up on yourself - you will be selling out shutting down - you at 17 are not really age ready for your nervous breakdown (age 40...)

Best Wishes

Source(s): Mentor to younger woman, engineer, business person

Do what you think will make you happy. In the end, your family isn't the one who has to live with the descisions, you do. Don't let them force you to do something you don't want to. If you drop out of school and it turns out to be pointless, so what? You can always go back to school. I say, follow your heart. Take a break, and try to figure yourself out and find things and people to make you happy. Follow your dreams and your heart.

yes