Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 9 years ago

ind the exact coordinates of the centroid for the region bounded by the curves y=4−x^2 and y=0 to balance?

Hi. I know that the x cordinate will be at the middle cause the shape is symmetrical, in this case x=0, but how do i solve where the point should be in the y axis? THanks a lot in advance for the help!

Update:

At the person below me, the question is not trying to solve for the y interception, but where should y be in between 0 and 4 in order to balance the parabola, if it were real and you had to use a finger to do it?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Yoda
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

y = 4 - x^2 shows where the vertex for x is. When you have y = a - (x - b)^2, the x-coordinate of the vertex is b, and the y-coordinate is clearly at a. Here, there is no b, so it's 0.

The y-coordinate is actually easy, all you have to do is solve for y. y = 4 - 0^2 = 4

You really need to start using terms so I understand what you're saying. I think you're asking for the focus point.

For y = ax^2 + bx + c, the focus point is at (-b/2a, c - (b^2 - 1)/4a)

So for y = 4 - x^2, a = -1, c = 4

So the focus point is at (0, 15/4)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.