Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

How common is the "vos" pronoun and verb form in Spanish?

Like can I say ¿Me podés decir lo que pasó? instead of ¿Me puedes decir lo que pasó?

or if I say "¿De dónde sos? instead of "¿De dónde eres?"

When should I use the vos form? Is it only used in certain countries? Would someone who is from a country where they don't really use it know what I'm saying if I do use it?

• guido
    Favorite Answer

In some countries it is used besides tú (mostly Central America) in this order of formality: vos, tú, usted.

In some countries it totally substitutes tú (Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay)

In some countries it is only used in some specific regions: Chile, Colombia, Venezuela.

It is never used in Mexico, Spain, Bolivia, Peru.

to no longer carry forth to the choir, yet your description does rather lots nail Guilliani. He seems to be like pushed to apply 9/11 as his platform. He can provide it as an occasion of his "management". What Guilliani and his supporters fail to charm to close is that the 9/11 tragedy got here approximately on his watch. Many firefighters and police died that day through fact of undesirable verbal replace, which for one element is a factor of the administration of a extensive city like long island. on the federal point, verbal replace issues have been outstanding in hampering a reaction to the activities of the day. the present President became in charge for the administration of the federal government and his modern Secretary of State became in charge for nationwide protection on the time. 9/11 isn't a proud 2d for everybody in value on the time.

It's common in South America particularly Argentina and Uruguay, as well as Chile

Hope this helps

NATIVE SPANISH SPEAKER

• Cris

"Voseo" is used in South America mostly, and in general mostly around Uruguay / Argentina, but I heard it a bit in Honduras.

If you use voseo outside where it is normally used, it might sound maybe a bit old fashioned.

Here is an example of similar verbal construction in English to give you the "feeling" of voseo:

Normal English: You are my friend

Archaic English: Thou art my friend

"Thou" in English and "Vos" in Voseo Spanish are somewhat archaic personal pronoun forms (and corresponding verbal forms) , in the case of both of these, they were used in formal situations with higher class people / royalty, but over time they actually came to mean the opposite, and were used informally. Voseo continues to be used as a replacement for "tu" in informal situations in a few areas.

It's the usual form in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

How common is the "vos" pronoun and verb form in Spanish? "Vos" is slang and the correct grammar is: "TU".