How long can it take for the emotional effects of assault to go away?

I was a victim (I hate that word) of a random act of violence yesterday. I was running an errand on my break at work, and a homeless drug addict approached me and punched me in the side of the head. I filed a police report, saw a doctor, everything is fine.

My injuries are not serious and won't take long to heal. However, I am not sure how I feel about it. I know it wasn't my fault and I won't let this keep me from leaving the house, but I still feel off. Should I let myself re-live the experience in my head to deal with it, or try and think about other things? I still kind of feel as if it didn't really happen to me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I'm sorry this happened to you. The extent of the injuries are not the issue here it's the fear and the fact that someone would and could do this to you for no reason. Of course you'll be shaken up and nervous, get back along the path you took with friends to accompany you as fast as possible to get over the fear in that place. Do positive things for your confidence, join a self defence class, get a personal siren with bad smell spray and keep it in your pocket or nearby to use if you ever do get attacked again, I stress it's most unlikely. Unless you live in a very poor part of a city with a lot of homeless and mentally ill on the streets?

You don't want to relive this at all in your head, that is where PTSD comes from post traumatic stress syndrome is where the brain can't process the horrible event and it gets stuck in a loop going round and round as you actually relive the event as if was now. The flashbacks can last for months or years in a few cases. Counselling will help but if it does turn into PTSD get a therapist in EMDR eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing for help. They will be able to get your brain to invoke the REM dream sleep where our brains make sense of things and file them away. Once it's filed you'll remember it but the flashbacks and terror will have gone. Make sure they've had the 3 levels of certification not just 1 or 2 levels.

Good luck

• ?

No, Never. If that ever did occur.. I'll name my different sibling to overcome up this dangerous sibling. Yes, I did undergo from an abusive sibling.. Way again whilst I was once five to twelve. Now I'm older.. This giant dangerous wolf cannot do squat to me anymore.. We at the moment are brothers then only a stranger. YUP. Sorry to listen to approximately your tale guy.. Keep your chin up and keep robust guy.. Life gets higher for you quickly.

• Feivel

Everyone is different but you might contact a victim therapist (who specializes with victims of crimes and no crime is great or too small). They can probably help you more than anyone on YA. The police department usually has names of doctors they can give you who specialize in that.

Glad you are ok!