Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

anil m
Lv 6
anil m asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around, does it make a sound ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It obviously makes the same sound as if we were there to hear it. I imagine the creatures living in and around it would hear the noise of its fall.

• 9 years ago

Yes. Just because there isnt anyone around in the forest to hear the tree fall, doesnt mean it didnt fall, or make a sound when it fell. Like many abused people, they have no one to help them, so they bear the abuse, but just because they didnt tell anyone, or people chose to ignore the marks and believe the person when they lied as to how they got it, then it doesnt mean they didnt get abused. Just because a person turns a blind eye or ear to something, doesnt mean it isnt there. That's like a housewife who's worked from morning, sitting down to watch tv around the time her hubby comes home. All he sees is her sitting there watching tv, drinking tea with a plate of snacks. So of course, he's irritated after coming home from a hard day's work seeing this, and asks, "what have u done all day? He doesnt see that it's due to her diligence that the house is never a mess, or the kids are always well dressed, and there are meals hot n fresh on the table. Y? He has other things to worry about....as we all do, and since he only acknowledges his labor, he wont see hers.

Source(s): observations, experience, and knowledge
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Everyone giving a straight "yes" answer has assumed that human perception of reality and reality itself are the same thing, which is probably not the case.

Imagine reality as a video game. In a video game, only objects that are currently within a certain range of the player exist, because it'd be wasteful for the game to render and simulate objects that the player can't see or interact with. In a video game, trees don't fall when no-one is looking or listening; they come into existence having fallen or not. If we imagine humans as players in a video game, then the answer to OP's question is clearly "no", because in video games, things don't happen when there are no observers. It's not possible to prove that life isn't the same way. It may be that nothing outside of your (the reader's) mind exists (including myself), and that what you perceive as reality is really little more than a dream, or a video game, where you are the only actor and all other beings are merely characters (a little like some of the characters in The Matrix). It may also be that reality is the projection of a collective human consciousness, as if everyone was playing the same video game (an MMORPG style game). The only difference would be that we're not aware that we're playing a video game because we're totally immersed in it.

The Wikipedia articles listed below relate to varying degrees (I've put them roughly in descending order).

• 9 years ago

That saying is based on the idea that "sound" is the interpretation of vibrations entering the ear. And those who say no think that only humans can make that interpretation. But what about all the other animals in the forest with ears to hear?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Hi anil m, already this question has been answered by me and it has been chosen as the Best Answer. Sound is nothing but the vibrations in the air medium. Whether there is a hearer or not the vibrations would exist and it would dash against the other things and finally damps out.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Damn! The human ego huh! We need to get over ourselves people! Always thinking that the rest of existence should follow the rules of human behaviour! Fück! Theres a saying in my language, translated to english means "empty cans make the most noise". I think those empty cans are us humans. We make our presence very well known in this world and are disillusioned to being the smartest, when we actualy the dumbest. Fearfully fighting against nature and the inevitability of death. Wtf! Sory for ranting offtopic, but that question/phrase/"proverb" or whatever that is, just sounds so very egotistical!

• 9 years ago

I gues it would make a sound, as it would crash through the underbrush and the birds would hear it fall.

• 9 years ago

Yes. You know, you could've searched for that before posting a question which has been asked here a million times.

• 9 years ago

Yes.

• nobudE
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.