Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is becoming security officer a good beginning to become a police officer in Toronto?!?

Hello

I got the decision to become a Police officer but right now because I am in second year university and also I have Nystagmus I can not take action right away.

So I want to know is it a good decision to apply for a security officer training, and take some extra classes and even get a job (even part-time) as a security officer or its just waste of time and money and these two are not related at all?

Favorite Answer

Being a security guard does not prepare you and is not looked upon as any better job to have than say retail sales by anyone who hires cops.

Having 60 semester hours is good. Having jobs that put you in lots of public contact is OK, doing volunteer work in your community is great.

A hiring board likes to see people who are already trying to do good for their community and who have a sense of duty to fellow man.

Like a cop.

Walking around in a uniform to scare people is not essential to being a cop.

As long as your Nystagmus does not affect your eyesight no one cares. although you are likely used to members of the public having trouble looking you in the ye it makes not different to the hiring boards of Tornotno, OPP or anyone else in Canada

Source(s): retired US cop, M.Sci-Law Enforcement Administration

Doing this ?!?! Isn't good to become a police officer.

• Taken

yes, that where security officers are needed most