My manager avoids my important e-mails. What should I do?

About a month ago I was transferred into a new department as part of a reorginzation attempt by the company. Since being in this department, I have sent e-mails to my manager regarding things such as dr. appointments or other things that have popped up during the work week to schedule time off.

He never reponds to any of the e-mails I send, even though the e-mails have been sent days in advance requesting to use personal leave.

This week I sent him an e-mail regarding my school schedule for the summer and have yet to receive a response from him. I honestly hoped to have a new job but have been unable to find anything. The reason this is annoying is because if he says no to accomodating my school schedule, I need to ask if a transfer to a different department within the company that is more flexible is possible and if not, to put in my notice so I can cash out my benefits.

I obviously don't want to quit because I need an income and I like my position, but school and a future career are more important. The manager in my previous department was leniant when it came to my schedule for school, as are some of the other departments. What should I do? He always has his door shut and I never see him so e-mail isreally the only reliable communication.

• Shines
    Favorite Answer

What has always worked for me is to e-mail a person and send a copy to their boss. In your case, I would also copy the HR department. If your boss ignores you again, you can then go directly to the higher manager or the HR department to get a response.

I don't like the way your boss tunes you out, either. If you quit would he even notice?

• ?

I use to have a bad supervisor too. I use to turn in "leave request" forms when I wanted to take vacation time. I turned those into him often because my vacation accrual was maxed out on the books. He wouls NEVER return to me, MY copy of the triplicate form. So, I would just go directly to Accounting, get their copy of my leave request, copy that & then I had MY copy before I took the time off so there could be NO misunderstanding :<) He was SUCH an AZZHOLE!!!

You will have to respect your managers position and understand that he may be busy completing deadlines. But its also unfair for him to ignore you. Before sending a copy of email to his boss and Human Resources; its best to leave a sticky note on his door or on at his desk – viewable for him to see. Plus email him you left a sticky note to meet with him and for him to respond what will be the best time for you to meet with him. So give him options like (30 mins before work) 8:00 – 8:30, (30 mins during lunch) 1:15pm – 1:45pm or (30 mins after work) 6:00 – 6:30pm. If he still don't respond. Then send your attempts to his Boss and HR. Good Luck!

paper trail and cc HR on emails. This dude sucks he shouldnt be manager, if he cant coincide with part of his job description. He might get offended but he is not leaving you a choice to go over his head.

• Les

Instead of emailing him just talk to him. If you tell him face to face you know he's aware of the situation. Knock on his door if it's closed.

Get in the habit of talking to him. He has hundreds of emails and not just yours. Put more value on his time.