Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Eating chicken that has been left out for 3 hours.?

I forgot to put my lunch away this morning when I got to work and my chicken was left out for 3 hours. Once I realized my mistake I put it in the fridge and later microwaved it before eating. I realize that the threshold is usually said to be 2 hours for cooked meats. What could potentially happen to me from doing this?

Favorite Answer

Your tummy might become a little upset.

Most likely nothing at all. I used to take chicken all the time to school for lunch, and sometimes I wouldn't eat it until after school like 8 hours after being in the fridge. Which was sometimes left out for a few hours the night before when we had it for dinner. I didn't care at all back then. Even into adulthood, I still eat stuff left out overnight like pizza or heavily salted or processed foods. The warnings out now and such are mostly just guidelines. If your chicken was cooked properly, stored out of direct sunlight and in a moderate temperature, it shouldn't make you sick until hours after leaving it out. Don't listen to the hypochondriacs in here. It's fine.

Source(s): Life

I bet it will be just fine. If it was chicken which came out of a factory - like prepared - it has such a high salt content that nothing can grow it in all that easily. If you made it fresh yourself, then there's more of a chance of bugs growing in it. But really... your stomach can deal with a lot of insult.

If you get sick, burn some toast really black and nibble that - make some tea. Burned toast and tea is the old treatment for miserable stomach. The carbon soaks up bad stuff in your stomach.

Chances are, since the chicken was cooked there should be no problem with it. I really can't imagine it spoiling in that amount of time. Just be more conscientious in the future.

Unless the room temperature was very hot -- say, over 80 or 90 degrees -- you have no worries. I doubt your chicken spoiled in that amount of time.

I think its fine unless it was a hot day