?
? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Deutschsprechern, Wo sind Sie? Können Sie mir mit Dativ helfen, Bitte! 10 Punkte!?

When exactly do should I use the Dativ case in German? I find that case so difficult. I thought it should be used only when an action is being done on an object like giving someone something "ich gebe dem Mann das Handy" (probably wrote that wrong) or with certain words like "mit" like "Kommst du mit mir?" (probably wrong as well, lol). However, i hear people say to use Dativ when speaking about location or aimless activities, etc. Anyway, its confusing. When exactly should I use dative and do you know of any methods to help remember it?

P.S. if you can explain akkusativ and nominativ too, it would gladly appreciate it. I do horrible on those parts of the test, but I do worse with Dativ.

Danke Schön!

Favorite Answer

The Dative is used when referencing the indirect object. It can be stated as to/for whom something is done.

Examples:

Ich schenke dem Mann das Handy. (I'm giving the man the cell phone/ I'm giving the cell phone to the man.) So in this case, the man is the indirect object and the cell phone is the direct object, as the cell phone is given TO the man.

Kannst du mir eine Tasse Kaffee machen? (Can you make me a cup of coffee?/ Can you make a cup of coffee for me?) So agian, mir ('me' in the dative) is the indirect object, as the direct object (the coffee) is being made FOR me.

This may help when trying to figure it out:

Acusative: (whom/what) -- taking about a person or thing (direct object).

Ich kenne ihn (I know him). Whom/what do you know? I know HIM.

Ich will einen neuen Wagen (I want a new car). Whom/what do you want? A NEW CAR.

Er hat ein Haus gekauft (He's bought a house). Whom/what did he buy? A NEW HOUSE.

Dative: (to whom/for whom) -- to whom or for whom something is done (indirect object).

Wann soll ich es ihm bringen? (When should I bring it to him) To whom/for whom are you bringing it? I'm bringing it (direct [es]) TO HIM (indirect [ihm]).

Er hat mir gesagt, dass er ein neues Armband braucht (He's told me that he needs a new watch). To whom or for whom did he tell it? He's told it TO ME (indirect [mir]); What does he want? das Armband (direct).

Wenn ich das Geld hätte, würde ich ihm ein neues Armband kaufen (If I had the money I would buy him a new watch). If I had the money, for whom would I buy the watch? TO HIM (indirect [ihm]).

The Nominative case is merely the Noun subject(s) of a sentence. It usually asks "who" (not to be confused with the Acusative "whom": (

Der Mann ist alt (The man is old) Who is old? The MAN

You are correct in saying that the dative is used with respect to location, however it is only used with a FIXED location:

Ich bin im [in dem] Wohnzimmer (I'm in the living room).

Wo ist mein Hemd?

-- Oh, ich habe es unter dem Bett gefunden (The shirt was under the bed)

If you are speaking about GOING to a location, or placing something in a location, you will use the Acusative:

Ich gehe ins [in das] Wohnzimmer (I'm going INTO the living room).

Ich stelle meine Schuhe in den Schrank (I'm putting my shoes INTO the closet).

Also be aware of dative prepositions like: aus, zu, nach, von, bei, mit, etc. These are ALWAYS used in the Dative, so you were correct in saying "Kommst du mit mir?"

I understand that German grammar can be difficult at first for English speakers, but with plenty of practice and tutoring it should become more clear over time. One of the other posters had a great idea about utilizing the internet to find examples and good clarification. There are plenty of free German sites that i'm sure will offer great practice examples.

Hope this helps!

Macht's gut!

Source(s): Bilingual English/German

I''m a german native speaker and I unfortunately can't tell you because I think I use our language in a subconscious way - I simply don't think about rules at all when conjugating.

At least maybe this English explanations of the German Dative / Accusative / Nominative will be of some help to you :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dative_case#German

German Accusative :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accusative_case#Germa...

Nominative :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_case#Lingu...

Furthermore, you've just made only -one- mistake in all of your German sentences. It's in "Deutschsprechern" ... just lose the 'n', then it's all correct ... ;)

Regards,

Michael.

ja, Ich spreche Deutsch ein bisschen.

Akkusative

einen

ein

eine

Dativ

dem

dem

die

ex.

neben dem Baum

the only within the grasp rest room is a nil. The seat is free and it has 2 push buttons for flushing. One for low capability, one for top. I hate it. I use the only within the visitor rest room and it is a beautiful 10. It has a manage! Can't wait to head house and use it!