Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should I pull the blooms off my pepper plants?

My peppers (several different varieties) are growing rather slowly, and a lot of them are already putting out blooms at less than a foot tall. Should I pull off those blooms to let the plants focus on getting bigger first? I haven't fertilized yet since I put a lot of compost in the soil, but I picked up some Jobe's organic fertilizer and hopefully that will help them shoot up. Thanks for any advice! Have a good one.

Mike

Favorite Answer

NO. Leave them to grow in peace. Have patience.

Source(s): experience.

Don't pull the blooms off. Instead read your fertilizer package and see if it is appropriate for vegetables. If so, read on to understand how much to apply and how often. Mark that on a calendar and stick to it.

Try adding a layer of compost or 'mulch' to the base of the plants. Water as needed. Stick your finger into the soil out about 6 inches from the plant itself to avoid damaging roots.

If your plants get a minimum of 6-8 hours of full sun daily, and you follow the directions above you should be rewarded with peppers in a month or two. Some just 'set' the peppers a bit later, depending on weather, sunlight, nutrition etc.

Source(s): Experience, laundry baskets used for picking ours.
  • terri

Tomato vegetation are significant but no tomatoes but, peppers coming along, flowers in full bloom, and some watermelons sprouting. Each summer time I come to a decision "subsequent 12 months i am downsizing" the backyard is just an excessive amount of work. And each spring once I see matters begin to bloom i alter my intellect, unless mid summer season when i'm as soon as once more over whelmed with the amount of labor I invest in the entire system. Might be subsequent yr...Ha!

Why? Peppers can grow at one foot as easily as they can grow at two feet. There is quite a ways between flowers and peppers, so it's not like they don't have time to grow up while they're making you peppers. Our pepper plants came with flowers at one foot. Now they're closer to two feet, and still no signs of peppers. Then again, I'm not expecting peppers yet. We've only had them for two weeks. lol

• Kris

i wouldn't pull them off. maybe just thin them if there are lots of them. your peppers may not be growing yet because the ground is not quite warm enough yet, as in my case. it gets hot then cools down for a couple days, which is not perfect for growing peppers. the fertilizer will also help.

• CGIV76

Leave them alone. First flowers then peppers. The plant will continue to grow.

Source(s): RPO
  • i would just leave the blooms and you should get some fruit within the next couple weeks.