Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Can a vegetarian overdose on meat?

If I were to eat meat after having not eaten meat for 4 years, is it possible to overdose on it? I wanna start eating meat again. Just wanting to know if I eat large amounts what would happen?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That question is a bit of an oxymoron. A vegetarian doesn't eat meat. If you are a vegetarian, and you eat meat... you are a meat eater, not a vegetarian. You'd have to say what you mean by "large amounts". And why would you eat excessive amounts of meat anyway? That makes no sense. You eat a portion size with a meal... which wouldn't be a large amount. Don't ask ridiculous questions. It serves no purpose. You know you won't be OD'ing on meat. Occasionally we eat a little more than we should. Eating too fast is a common problem. When we eat too fast, the brain doesn't know yet that you are full, so we can eat too much. This can cause us to feel bloated, lethargic, and give us a stomach ache. Richer foods in excessive amounts might make us feel nauseous, But these are common, known facts... which I'm sure you already knew.

It's not likely you will OD on meat. It's not addictive.

The short answer: Vegetarians can't overdose on meat... because they don't eat meat. Maybe a meateater can eat too much meat... but it wouldn't be considered overdosing.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Well, if you eat meat, you're not a vegetarian. So your question is moot.

You are an omnivore....meaning you can get nutrients from both plants and other animals. Just because you haven't been eating meat doesn't change your biology.

A CBS news poll has shown that 3 out of 4 vegetarians eventually add some meat back into their diet....mostly because they get sick without it. So if that high a % can do it, chances are very good that you can, too.

I wouldn't suggest that you run out and stuff yourself with spicy BBQ pork for your first meal with meat, but think a normal meal (some meat, some veggies) would be fine. If you're going out to eat, Appleebes has a nice little steak w/salad and veggies for about $10.

• 9 years ago

No, a vegetarian cannot overdose on meat, since as soon as you consume meat, you are no longer a vegetarian.

Large amounts of meat would probably lead to severe pain due to digestive issues.

• 9 years ago

Go Slowly.

You body cuts down on the production of the enzymes used ot break down meat if they're not being used. Meat isn't inherently toxic, but an incomplete breakdown of the proteins and fats can be mildly toxic. it won't kill you.

Stay away from Pork for a while. it's extremely rich. (A slice or two of bacon's probably OK, though)

• Karen
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

If you are going to eat it I would advise you to do it very gradually - meat contains a lot of toxins that your body is not used to and if you really have not eaten meat for 4 years it could possibly make you very sick.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes it happens all the time

• 9 years ago

yes

• 9 years ago

Hmm you will get more fat and thinks like that xD idk and if you want to be a vegetarian just be the first one eat only fish and chicken !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.