Lew
Lew asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 years ago

War heroine Tammy Duckworth vs. incumbent Joe Walsh: who will win this race?

Illinois 8th district seat

Favorite Answer

I just moved into the 8th Congressional District and I am looking forward to voting for Tammy Duckworth. I examined the race since I've moved in because I like to be an informed voter.

The choices are between the incumbent, Joe Walsh and the challenger, Tammy Duckworth.

Joe Walsh is in his first term. He won in 2010 by 291 votes. The district lines have been redrawn since then as a result of the 2010 Census. Walsh ran unsuccessfully for the US House in 1996 and unsuccessfully for the Illinois General Assembly in 1996. He was a moderate in the 1990's. Now he's a Tea Party conservative. His previous occupation is listed as a professional fundraiser, raising money for groups promoting school vouchers.

He has had numerous personal financial issues. He's had past due child support, a recent condo foreclosure, tax liens from the 1990's, and a former campaign manager sued him for $20,000 for money owed. He temporarily lost driving privileges in Illinois because he let his insurance lapse.

In September, 2011, he was criticized by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington for ethics violations.

He has 0 military experience.

Public Policy Polling has declared Walsh to be the most vulnerable Republican incumbent in the country.

Choose him or the other choice is Tammy Duckworth. She continues to serve as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Illinois Army National Guard.

She has received a Purple Heart, an Air Medal and an Army Commendation Medal.

She was the Director of the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs. She went on to serve as the Assistant Secretary of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs at the federal Department of Veteran Affairs.

She ran for Congress in 2006 and lost.

To me, it's not much of a choice. Joe Walsh barely won before, has had legal, financial, and ethics problems in his year and a half in Congress against a decorated war veteran who has continued to serve government and veterans.

Tammy Duckworth is worse than any incumbent.

Hopefully Walsh, Duckface is a loon.