If the queen is not just the queen of England how come Brits call her queen of england?

Like on bloomberg tv the presenter who is british calls her that, and si do many channels like channel 5 and tv channels and everyday people like you and me around the world...

She is the queen of england, why dont some people like it when i call her that?

Favorite Answer

She is NOT the Queen of England. That title simply does not exist.

In 1603, King James VI of Scotland inherited the English throne. For the next century our monarchs had the titles King/Queen of Scotland and King/Queen of England. But after 1707, Scotland and England united and became a single kingdom. From that point on there was only a single title for the monarch, encompassing the entire country.

Today that title is King/Queen of the United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_england

"Queen of England is also often used erroneously to refer to the following, as they do not hold the title "Queen of England": The current monarch of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II"

Source(s): I'm Scottish

What people and journalists say and what really is are two completely different concepts.

The reason people don't like it when you call her The Queen of England is because she is actually the Queen of the United Kingdom, and that also includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

How would you like it if you were an American living in Colorado and people kept calling Obama "President of Texas" - just like if the other 49 states of U.S.A. were completely unimportant?

The title King (or Queen) of England has not existed for over 300 years. So, in fact, she is NOT the "Queen of England," as a title. It is surprising how many don't know that - even in the UK.

• ?

Those who refer to the Monarch as "Queen of England" are

simply being lazy with their description. H M The Queen is

monarch over a group of nations so it makes more sense to

call her the Queen of Britain.

Some TV/Radio presenters get it wrong, some refer to her as

Her Royal Highness, this too is incorrect as she is no longer

just a Princess but a reigning monarch and should be called

Her Majesty.

England has been a part of the United Kingdom since before Queem Victoria.

She is the Queen of the United Kingdom as well as some 50 (just off top of my head) Commonwealth countries, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

• James

She ISN'T the Queen of England. England hasn't been a kingdom for hundreds of years.

Referring to the Queen of the UK as the Queen of England is just general ignorance from Yanks that think the only country in Britain is England.

• ?

Most don't. He is a TV presenter.. the only qualification you need for that is good looks.

Elizabeth II is Queen of the United Kingdom.

It was at the coronation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGLN1kREJ2Q

Youtube thumbnail

skip to 4.28 where the Archbishop says will you promise "to govern the peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... etc etc"

or

at her Jubilee the Queen made this speech:

"The problems of progress, the complexities of modern administration, the feeling that Metropolitan Government is too remote from the lives of ordinary men and women, these among other things have helped to revive an awareness of historic national identities in these Islands. They provide the background for the continuing and keen discussion of proposals for devolution to Scotland and Wales within the United Kingdom.

I number Kings and Queens of England and of Scotland, and Princes of Wales among my ancestors and so I can readily understand these aspirations.

BUT I CANNOT FORGET THAT I WAS CROWNED QUEEN OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND."

http://www.royal.gov.uk/ImagesandBroadcasts/Histor...

• heyhey

I can`t comment on what any TV presenter outside the UK calls Her Maj,because i havn`t heard them for myself ,but i can assure you she has never been refered to as " The Queen of England " on British TV,for the simple reason that she`s never refered to as the Queen of anywhere .Over here she`s simply known as "The Queen"

• TSK

I know...IT GETS UP OUR NON ENGLISH, BRITISH noses.....We spend a lifetime telling them and STILL some do it...Is REALLY INSULTING and wrong.......She was crowned that of the UK, Her other Realms and Territories etc.....Every time some of us hear it our toes curl....I work in a school in England and, only this week a teacher called her that in front of hundreds of kids....When I mentioned it later quietly she thought I was "just being picky"....Yey GODS......

US TV is worse....... BUT you do sometimes hear it, here on TV in the UK; rarely from the mouths of presenters I admit.......BUT what annoys MOST is they rarely CORRECT the person........

Source(s): WELSH and BRITISH......

Bloomberg is an American tv channel, so the presenter is just reflecting the (wrong) ideas of the target audience - it would confuse Americans if they started calling her by her correct title.

Silly yanks