Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

L.A. asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

During the Italian Renaissance, what did the government in Italy do?

I am currently writing a research paper regarding the Italian Renaissance and need help with this question. While I continue to look through my history book and on the internet, it would be a great help if anyone answered me. If there are any internet sources that you think you can help me, please provide a link. Or if you do answer me, any possible internet sources that you might have used would be great. Please and thank you! (And just to let you know, Wikipedia isn't allowed)

Favorite Answer

Well, during the Renaissance Italy was divided into regional states, that were the "Signorie" (such as Milan or Florence), ruled by powerful families, the Papal State (Rome and the majority of Central Italy), the Kingdom of Sicily (South Italy and Sicily) ruled by the Crown of Aragon, the "Serenissima" Republic of Venice, the "Superba" Republic of Genoa and the Duchy of Savoy.

The ruler of this states helped the spread of arts, because every court wanted to show his power, also hosting the most famous artists of the time. For example, Michelangelo Buonarroti designed the dome of Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome for the Pope, Leonardo da Vinci was taken in by Lorenzo de' Medici, lord of Florence and poet, and by Ludovico Sforza, duke of Milan, et cetera.

So you can say that during the Renaissance the government(s) in Italy played a very important rule.

Source(s): I'm Italian, I live in Italy and I know the history of my nation

Italy as a state did not exist.

There was competition between such city-states as Milan and Florence to gain the upper hand in the region at the time of the Renaissance.

Two families of note who worked at controlling city-states, the region and the Church of Rome were:

The Medici and the Borgias.

Source(s): Durant, Will - The Story of Civilization: Volume 5: The Renaissance. New York: Simon and Schuster: 1953 Schevill, Ferdinand - The Medici. New York: Konecky and Konecky: 1949 Spitz, Lewis W. - The Renaissance and Reform Movements: Volume 1: The Renaissance. Chicago: Rand McNally: 1972 many others
  • ?

I even have been surfing the internet extra beneficial than 4 hours immediately in seek of the solutions to the comparable question, and that i haven't found any exciting debate like this. that's quite worth adequate for me.

Haha =) Oh well Italian nation was born in 1861 / 1866 :)

And we still feel we're not a nation.

Source(s): Italian guy