HorseGurl22 asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Is this going to be dangerous?

In August I'm getting a miniature filly. She is 5 hours away. She will be about 3 1/2 months old. I'm not sure if the owner will be getting her used to separation from her mother (I'll ask before then) or not. If this will be the first time she is away from her mother and I trailer her 5 hours will she be very stressed out and do I need to do anything special? I plan on giving her an extra amount of company the first few days and she will have pasture, hay, and grain. I've heard that some foals might loose some weight at weaning time?

I've been doing a lot of research and starting at three months foals become less able to use their mother's milk. If she's not eating well on her own then I will not yet take her. Also while it is most common for foals to be weaned at 5-6 months I've found many miniature breeders who when at 3-4 months. The couple I'm getting her from have around 20 miniatures and have been doing this for a long time. I trust what they say and I believe that if the filly is not yet ready they will let me know.

Oh, also, I plan to ask them to start gradually weaning her a couple weeks before I get her but I know there are also some people whose weaning method is complete and sudden separation so if that is how they do it I'm not sure if they will change just because I ask.

I know that miniature horses are easily prone to foundering so I am going to be very careful with feeding grain and pasture time. However, I think that she should get some grain until she is older since she will be a growing baby. As for training: I don't plan to show her and I'm not sure if I want to train her to drive or not. She is mostly just for a pet. Of course I'm going to teach her all the horse basics: leading, manners, lunging, get her use to all sorts of things (may one day look into taking her to nursing homes as a therapy horse).

Your right, it does sound like a lot of food but I don't think she is kept on pasture where she is now so I want to gradually introduce her to grass. I figure I will only allow her on pasture for a few hours max for a while so that would not be enough food to last her all day and night. I would need to provide her with hay as well to make sure she is eating enough.

I'm asking because I've never had a weanling before I was wondering if she could be so stressed out to the point of becoming sick or something. There are some things that I feel I know the answer to but I want to check with others to make sure I'm on the right track with things. I didn't realize it was a bad thing to get others input and be overly cautious?

@Bankaway: Wow, your kinda a ***** aren't you? "One that wants to learn, does not have all the answers"...I said that I wanted input I what I was thinking. How do you find out if your right if you don't share your thoughts with someone? It's called trial and error. I say something and if it's wrong I would hope someone would tell me that so that I can learn from it! Also, when asking a question you should make sure people know all the facts

• gallop
    Favorite Answer

Just the process of weaning is a tremendous stress and adding the trip and a complete change of living environment will be enough to seriously impact her immune functions and resistance to infection and disease. She will still have immunity from the colostrum she received from the mare, provided that all went well with that after she was born. However, she can still become ill from the stress, and you really should discuss all of this with a qualified equine vet before you bring her home. You may want to look into the availability of mare's milk to be bottle fed if needed in the beginning.

You should assure that she is gradually transitioned to the feed and hay you will be providing, either by giving some of yours to the prior owner to begin transitioning at least a couple weeks or more before you pick her up, or by purchasing their feed and hay to provide for at least two weeks while you transition to yours. It would be best if she could begin the transition well in advance while she is still nursing if at all possible.

Purina makes a miniature horse and pony feed that you may want to purchase for her. I'm posting the link on it, and you can click on the "Feeding Directory" at the top of the page to find instructions for feeding a weanling foal by weight. You will need to be able to estimate her weight in order to determine how much to feed. You'll also need to know her weight for deworming or any other meds you may have to give her.

For example, the directory recommends that a foal weighing 50 lbs is fed 0.6 lbs (6/10 of a lb) of hay or pasture along with 0.6 lbs of the Purina feed daily. A 100 lb foal is fed 1.2 lbs (one and 2/10 pounds) of hay or pasture along with 1.1 lb (one and 1/10 pounds) of the Purina feed daily, and so forth. The chart includes feed recommendations for increasing weights.

You will need to be able to weigh the feed. I use a hanging scale such as is used to weigh fish, and hang a plastic grocery bag with handles to hang it with, and add feed to weigh it. To determine weight per volume, you can measure out a quarter cup, half cup, or whatever, to determine what volume of the feed weighs what you need to be feeding.

Here is the feed I mentioned, and you can click onto all of the information on it at the top of the page.

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/products/miniatur...

Source(s): Registered Nurse and 59 years with horses
  • Finley

Q:

If this will be the first time she is away from her mother and I trailer her 5 hours will she be very stressed out and do I need to do anything special?

A:

Unless she's naturally laid back and is currently being handled A LOT by people and is beng trailer trained, yes, of course she will probably be very stressed out.

I would borrow someone's calm mini and trailer that mini with the young one. I would not trailer a baby mini alone ... again, unless she is currently being handled a lot and is being trained to trailer load (which she should be)

I'd make the trailer as comfortable as possible: wet down some shavings (dry shavings can fly around and be breathed in or get in the eyes). and put some grass hay in there (but not to beg the mini to enter the trailer)

Q:

I plan on giving her an extra amount of company the first few days and she will have pasture, hay, and grain. I've heard that some foals might lose some weight at weaning time?

A:

sounds like way too much food, especially for a mini.

people tend to overfeed minis and make them too fat and then they founder easily.

If she's on pasture, and you don't know what the nutrients are of in the grass/soil, then have grass hay available as needed.

Grain...be careful. read labels. don't buy the cheap crap that's just corn and sugar (molasses). get the good stuff. and be careful about how much to give, watch the weight carefully.

young horses generally naturally tend to look a little ribby (because they are growing, not because they are skinny)....and it's not a bad thing. obviously, you should not be able to see the hip bones, though. but to be able to touch and see a little bit of ribs (a little bit, like you have to look closely)... is better than having a mini that's too fat.

• Snezzy

The correct plan, and I gather that it's not within your capability, is to wait until 4 1/2 months (solidly weaned) take both of them to your place, and then transport the mother back.

Next best is to take another of your horses (preferably an ancient and calm pony) along to the filly's home, so that the filly will have some company for the trip.

Taking her alone is not a good idea.

Taking her instantly upon weaning is not a good idea.

Be very careful about feeding, especially feeding grain. If you equate good treatment with providing extra food, you may kill her with kindness.

What are your plans for training?

Perhaps other people will have additional ideas.

If you know the answer, why are you asking?

What danger - yes baby horses are really dangerous because they act like babies

What danger are you worried about, your safety or the mini's safety?

I really do not understand your question if you have the data and know the answer

OK = Update

Since everything we say you have the answer to, I suspect that you are not ready to take on this project

One that wants to learn, does not have all the answers

One that knows, does not need to ask

Yes, the BB is going to be stressed out - let any BB leave its home and mommy -- new barn is stressful, no mommy, OMG a trailer, 5 hours is a long ride for a horse let alone a BB with no experience first time from mommy....

Bottom Line:

Wait longer learn more do more research

There will be another BB when you are really ready

Source(s): Your questions and self answers lack of taking any of our input shows me you are not ready, let alone that poor lil baby
  • Darcy

Scientology is only slightly less dangerous than jumping into an active volcano. Study their teachings if you want, but stay away from their church. Noone should have to spend 4 times what they make in a lifetime to become enlightened.