Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 years ago

Do you see unique names as being a great way to individualise a child or just plain weird?

I was just wondering what your take on names is - would you prefer to choose a name that is modern and unique to anybody else that would be in there school, one that is very popular and they would share the same name with others, or more classic names that have been in use for decades?

Also, what is your opinion on unisex names, or boys names on girls?

Just any opinion you have about names, spit it out :)

Why do you prefer the names that you do?

• 'sup
    Best Answer

I have a unique, unisex name.

I HATED it growing up. I LOVE it as an adult. I figured, you are a child for 18 years, an adult for 60 years +.....you will like your name most likely more time then you hate it so it all is good in the end.

Source(s): My name: Kammrin

I do love some unique names, but I don't always like trendy names. The name Emma is meant to be really common right now, but I have loads of little cousins and the only Emma they know is my best friend, because all parents are pushing for such unique names now, that there are more kids with different/made up names than there are with common names. Out of a thousand there might only be 2 Emmas, 3 Sophias, 4 Isabellas, but they're still the most common names because all the other kids have made up names.

I'd just use a name I love. I think Unisex names are names that are used and accepted currently on both. Madison/Addison/Cassidy/Alexis are GIRLS names because they are not in use on boys anymore. Boys names on girls is stupid.

I love classic European names, mainly of Germanic, French or (Old) English origin, though of course there are exceptions. I'd love to use more exotic names, like the Turkish names Aysel [f] and Kadri [m], but I'd be concerned people would think I was being "kre8ive" or, even worse, disrespectful to Turkish culture.

When it comes to girls' names, I tend to prefer more uncommon names, though still classic, perhaps because I know so many girls with the same names and it just bothers me so. My favourite girls' name, Romilly, was given to just 41 girls in 2010, the latest available data for the UK.

When it comes to boys', however, the popularity doesn't matter *as* much as long as the name has a vintage and literary vibe. The most popular name I have on my list is Oscar, which ranks at #19 here, but, while it's not showing any sign of it, I really hope the popularity drops by the time I have children.

I'm not a fan of boys' names on girls, but there are a couple on my guilty pleasure list and Romilly has been occasionally used on both genders in the past.

I hope that's not too ramble-y, ha ha.

-- delphine.

I prefer unique names. I have a unique name (that is starting to get more popular now) and I wasn't a huge fan of it, but now I am. I see it as a way of being an individual. Why would you want to be like anyone else? However, if there is a popular name that I really like, it won't force me to stop liking it. (Ariana, Isabel, etc.) On the unisex/boys names on girls thing: I personally love unisex/traditionally boy names on girls. Ryder, Carson, Spencer and Kennedy are some of my favorites. Hate me if you want, but I just like the way they sound and prefer them on girls. I hate it when people say "using boy names on girls is sexist and wrong", because I'm not being sexist. I just like them (:

• ?

I like some unique names but sometimes i think it's kind of weird, it often makes the parent look uneducated if it is a "unique" spelling. I'd choose a name that is heard of, but not too common or too rare.

I think unisex names are ok, but i don't really like the use of boys names on girls.

I prefer the original spellings of names, maybe because my name is an original spelling. I don't really care for variations of my name such as "Caitlind, Caitlyn, Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kate-Lynn, Caitland, etc."

I've always found it annoying that my grandma spells my name wrongly and that people always ask how to spell my name, but that's just me.

Pirate, Miracle, Astrick, Leaf, Runner, Poppy, December and Coco are weird.

Railey, Teagan, Jaden, Weston are fine

So it really depends if the unique name is actually off the wall or just hardlly heard.

By the same token there are common names I find weird or have a strange connection between the name and something else lik Tatum. I think its cute but I cant help but hear "Taint". Dick. Don bc I think Dong. etc.

Im fine with unisex names. Im not a fan of strong boy names on girls like Logan or Franky or Ryan, Bobbi or Tony.

But when the "boy" name has a softer sound or a feminine aspect to it altogether like Andy, Lee, Quinn, or Bailey.

I love unique names. Coming from me- my legal name is Flower. My opinion though is that when I have kids their names will be nouns, I dunno why it's just a preference.

I would choose a name that is unique to that person and that other people rarely will have.

As far as unisex names go, off the top of my head I can think of Austen, Dakota, Charlie, Cody, Chris... They're really cute names for both genders!

The two names I hate the most are Gretchen and Gertrude. Just the sound of them makes my head hurt.

Well there's my opinion :P

• JXCXT

I prefer classic names that have been used for decades. I prefer them because they fit well ith any age. They are also not very over used.

I like some unisex names.

I don't like it when girls have boys names at all.

Personally I don't care either way as long as I like how the name sounds. I am not a fan of unisex names and am against them just because I think boys should have strictly boy names and girls girl names--it just seems more decent to me.

• Tara

I prefer old-fashioned names, no competition!

My favourite names are:

Edward

George

Madeleine

Alice

I am not normally a fan of unisex names but there is one I like, Riley. But I only like it on a boy but it is a guilty pleasure so I wouldn't use it on a child myself

Hope this helps