Has anyone here suffered with "Exploding Head Syndrome" due to sleep deprivation? How did you cope?

My contacts will assume I'm trolling here, but I'm dead serious and this is an actual parasomnia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome For the last couple of months, I have not been able to get a refreshing and uninterrupted night's sleep, and if I get in 5 hours, that's a... show more My contacts will assume I'm trolling here, but I'm dead serious and this is an actual parasomnia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_h...

For the last couple of months, I have not been able to get a refreshing and uninterrupted night's sleep, and if I get in 5 hours, that's a damn good night. Usually it's due to just waking up several times a night, but more and more, this massive sleep deprivation has messed with my head and I'm very often waking up to loud bangs, crashes, knocking, etc. Of course, this unwanted nocturnal event is always frightening at first, until I get reoriented with my surroundings.

I KNOW this is a symptom of severe brain fatigue, but here's the clincher : I just cannot get enough rest to alleviate it, even when I desperately try to sleep in on the weekends. I'm exhausted all day, but once I get into bed, I'm completely wired, then when I finally do drift off, it's consistently disrupted.

I'm not under any more stress than usual, I don't drink caffeine past 4:00, I don't take my decongestants after 3:00, and I DO NOT want to take prescription sleeping pills.

I know everyone's going to suggest Sleep Apnea, but I don't think that's it. This is a neural dysfunction caused by getting a lousy 2-4 hours of sleep every night, as that's all my body will allow. Hell, I've even started sleepwalking again-that hasn't happened since I was a kid.

So am I going crazy or have others suffered with this? More importantly, how did you overcome it? Not surprisingly, it's really started to affect my waking life, and I walk around like a brain-dead zombie.
Update: David: You're damn right and it scares me, especially because I have a long commute.